Voices not Centered. Help?

megaetk

So basically, I have a front 3 system of Klipsch Rb 61ii and then an Rc 62ii, and even in 2 channel, the voices do not seem to come from the center, but from the right speaker. ive measured them out, both toed in the same. and ive done the room correction with my receiver. and everything seems fine, same distance, and same output decibels. Is my speaker damaged? should i go to klipsch for help? i also have an rw-12D crossed over at 80 hz, and i have tried a different amp to see if that was the issue, and the results were even worse. Its ben like this for the year or so that ive owned them. 

In my experience this can be several possible issues, first suggestion I would make to test your speakers is to swap left and right sides and see if all the sound moves to the left or stays on the right,  if it all moves left then you have a speaker issue

If it stays right side that would lead me to think cable, amp / receiver, set-up

post your findings after switching the left and right speakers

• Like 1

My best guess is your AVR is set to "Music" mode.  That will throw the sound outward to the L/R.

Set your AVR to "Theater" mode.  That will anchor voices to the center speaker.

+++

You didn't say what AVR you have.  My Onkyo TX-NR717 has a setting where I can set the distance the speakers are apart, so basically "wide" or "narrow."  This also affects where the sound is centered.

Edit:  BTW I also have an RW-12d.  There is some localization with a single sub, but the voices still clearly come out of the center speaker.

Edited by wvu80

Are you sitting dead center?  Getting a dialog setting that is exactly centered is difficult unless you, too, are centered.  It is harder than hearing the instruments of the soundtrack spread across the field -- that works even if you are not centered with most movies.  Our dialog isn't dead on, unless the viewer is in the center seat, but, with the lights off and a movie running, it seems close enough

-Wires reversed on one speaker?

-receiver in wrong listening mode? Try direct(pure, stereo, etc..)

-is it running from your pc? Check L/R balance on sound card

Try the mentioned speaker swap, but if you have a center speaker, I'm thinking it's an issue with the receiver or connections.

• Like 1

So basically, I have a front 3 system of Klipsch Rb 61ii and then an Rc 62ii, and even in 2 channel, the voices do not seem to come from the center, but from the right speaker. ive measured them out, both toed in the same. and ive done the room correction with my receiver. and everything seems fine, same distance, and same output decibels. Is my speaker damaged? should i go to klipsch for help? i also have an rw-12D crossed over at 80 hz, and i have tried a different amp to see if that was the issue, and the results were even worse. Its ben like this for the year or so that ive owned them. 

Do you have the 'right side' speaker connected to the 'center output' of the receiver?

Edited by mustang guy

Are these the only speakers/system that you have had in this location in this room? 

I had a shift to the right that was caused by my non-symmetrical room and no amount of room treatments helped.  It was only when I finally moved them to where they were symmetrically aligned with my front wall, back wall and vaulted ceiling that things finally came together.  It forces me to sit where I didn't want to but I'll adjust... it was a vast improvement and worth it.

Swap the speakers to opposite sides and make sure it is the speakers.  Next is the wires between left and right with not changes made to calibration.  Next is the room or something in it relecting.  Lastly is your ears.  

These suggestions are for if you are sitting at perfect angles and centered between the speakers.

Could also be the OP's hearing. 

I know from the audiologist that mine is like that from an ear infection I had when I was a kid, ie. not perfectly balanced. Occupational exposure is another factor. Could be something as simple as commuting with one window down.

...or it could just be the room, picking off a random reflection. Table, ceiling fan, any hard surface in the room really.

I know from the audiologist that mine is like that from an ear infection I had when I was a kid, ie. not perfectly balanced.

Yes, particularly if the high frequencies were down in one ear, since those are what tell what direction the sound comes from.  However, many people, including me, can sort out direction by frequent very small movements of the head and reorientation of your ears to the source.  Moreover, do you have a similar reaction to everyday sounds including movies and your TV?  It's your system and not your ears if the rest of the world is balanced and only your stereo is lopsided.

I like the idea of swapping speakers.  If that doesn't solve it, the next step could be to switch the channels of your electronics by reversing your speaker wires.  This could be a multi-step process of doing it with the amp, pre-amp, CD/DVD player, etc., etc.

Good luck!

Edited by LarryC