A low watt low noise digital amp for big horns, suggestions?

JL Sargent

I only have my single source via macbook pro/usb, so I rarely would use it as a preamp. it's nice to have that functionality though and if someone came over wanting to play a stack of CD/SACD's I could always go yank my Oppo out of the HT and be ready to play in pretty short order. There are cheaper units and there are definitely more expensive units, but everything I've read has this positioned as a great value for what you spend.

Never had hiss until I added the Squeezebox to the system and learned a bit about the digital "volume" control, I had it turned way down and it was causing the hiss and distortion Mark was mentioning.  Now that I have balanced out the levels of the other members of the signal chain and keep the volume up on the squeezebox...hiss gone!  regards, T

I have a pair of those round Jabo horns with JBL 2441 2" drivers that I'm using in a two way active setup in my basement. This horn/driver combination is so revealing that I want to try a quieter amp (been using various tube amps mostly)  with these horns. Maybe a digital offering like a T amp or that Emotiva mini, etc. Wattage doesn't have to be a whole lot either. I suspect 20w per channel a plenty. The main concern is keeping the noise as low as possible. For example: 10% THD at rated output not ok. Any thoughts appreciated.

I wish i could help, but my lowest amp design is 100w @ 116db SN class ab2.damping factor 80.

Choices of Amplifiers for Big Ole Horn loudspeakers

It is not just the THD, since Big Ole Horn loudspeakers don’t need a lot of watts, it is also the TYPE of distortion, which is why so many tweaking audiophiles recommend TUBES:

• Look for heavy, vintage solid-state receivers, like Harmon Kardon twin transformer models 430-930, for less than $150, but which go for as little as $5 in a yard sale (mine). These sound as good as new receivers costing hundreds, even thousands (see Roksan Caspain receiver review on EnjoyTheMusic.com). They are quite a bargain for Big Ole Horn loudspeakers.
  • Even the low cost ($30) Lepai LP-2020A+ stereo, class T, audio chip amplifier can easily drive my 103-dB efficient Big Ole Horn loudspeakers on most music to moderate volumes at ¼ on the dial. Like a cheap burger, it is a lot of food for the price. Hard to beat.
  • Check out better quality chip amplifiers, like Sonic Impact and Trend Audio, which are about $100
  • Seriously consider low-cost, refurbished tube amplifiers from fellow forum poster Craig, at NOSvalves.com. Many are a few hundred. Refurbishing one will take time, and about double the cost, so it a great amplifier will cost about a grand. The result however, will be as almost as good as most mega-buck integrated amplifiers, solid-state or tube. Consider either vintage integrated or separate tube pre and power amplifiers. 
  • The classic solid-state Outlaw receiver is excellent on Big Ole Horn loudspeakers, perhaps the best solid-state receiver value I have heard.
  • I know from experience that new Cayin, Cary, Antique Sound Labs and Bottlehead tube amplifiers are quite good
  • Jonathon Valin in The Absolute Sound (September 09) gave a rave review to the $800 Odyssey Khartago Power Amplifier comparing it very favorably to much more expensive amplifiers.
  • I auditioned both the Nelson Pass X250 and his radical 10-watt SIT-2 amplifiers on my Big Ole Horn and other loudspeakers for EnjoyTheMusic.com. I have yet to hear a movie/music and system configuration with either Big Ole Horn loudspeakers, electrostatic or traditional cone drivers in which either Pass amplifier always showed off the best that the system could deliver. Passes me out. 
  • Like 2