Newbie finishing basement for first surround sound

ALT0153

So here's the revised speaker layout.  I never asked what everyone would recommend for an A/V receiver.

I was originally looking at the Onkyo TX-NR636 for it's 7.2 atmos capabilities and HDMI 2.0. Will that work with this setup?

Not with everything you have drawn.  With Atmos, that's a 5.1.2 receiver at best.  I see that you got rid of the 7.1 rear surrounds on the wall, but if you want four ceiling speakers you need at least 5.1.4.  

The Onkyo TX-NR636 can do 7.2.4 with the latest firmware. My setup will be just 5.1 for now. My intention for the future ceiling speakers was going to have two for rear surround and two for atmos, so a 7.1.2...but I suppose I could make them all atmos 5.1.4?

The Onkyo TX-NR636 can do 7.2.4 with the latest firmware.

Here's a pic of the back of it. I'm guessing that at first they weren't using zone 2 as outputs but even if they did you need two more outputs to get 7.2.4, there's only 9 outputs. 7+4 is 11. If you dropped the rear surrounds and they are using zone 2 outputs you should be able to use 5.1.4.

x580TXN636-B.jpg

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Get an avr with pre outs. It will save you money most likely. 

Like I said, I'm an audio newbie. I probably know more Chinese than I do audio.  If I use pre out, I then need an amp too? Just looking at the Onkyo AVRs would I'd have to go up to the TX-NR838 to get pre out...and then get an amp?

Here's a pic of the back of it. I'm guessing that at first they weren't using zone 2 as outputs but even if they did you need two more outputs to get 7.2.4, there's only 9 outputs. 7+4 is 11. If you dropped the rear surrounds and they are using zone 2 outputs you should be able to use 5.1.4.

Well, it does look like the best it can do is either 7.2 or 5.2.2. Their overview info is misleading.

Well, it does look like the best it can do is either 7.2 or 5.2.2. Their overview info is misleading.

I can't even do 7.2.4 with my Marantz SR-7009 and it's got all kinds of connections, I have to use an external amp to get those last two ceiling speakers. I had to look for myself. :)

Get an avr with pre outs. It will save you money most likely.

Like I said, I'm an audio newbie. I probably know more Chinese than I do audio.  If I use pre out, I then need an amp too? Just looking at the Onkyo AVRs would I'd have to go up to the TX-NR838 to get pre out...and then get an amp?

I think he meant get one that also has pre-outs so you can expand later instead of starting all over. At that point yeah you need an amp. The one you're looking at is done once you fill up all the speaker connections.

• Like 1

Ok thanks. I'm slowly learning things :)

The Onkyo TX-NR636, NR737, and even the NR838 are limited to 5.2.2. In order to step up to 7.2.2, the receiver must be 9-channels or have a 9-channel preamp output for adding amplifiers. The first model in the Onkyo line with this ability is the Onkyo TX-NR1030 ($1,600)

Yeah, that one's not in the budget. lol.

So my next learning curve is the Watts/RMS?

The Onkyo TX-NR636/737/838 are nearly identical other than their RMS power output of 95W/110W/130W respectively.

Looking at the Klipsch speakers, I'm guessing I have to stay under the Onkyo specs?

RF-62 ii - 125W RMS / 500W Peak  

RC-62 ii - 150W RMS / 600W Peak  

RS-62 ii - 150W RMS / 600W Peak

RF-52 ii - 100W RMS / 400W Peak

RC-52 ii - 125W RMS / 500W Peak

RS-52 ii - 100W RMS / 400W Peak

RF-42 ii - 75W RMS / 300W Peak

RC-42 ii - 75W RMS / 300W Peak

RS-42 ii - 75W RMS / 300W Peak

So am I correct to say the TX-NR636 (95W RMS) can only handle the 42 ii speakers? Or could I do the 52ii or 62ii, just not at "full power" or would I need to add a power amp? I'm guessing it's just cheaper to get the higher RMS AVR?

Edited by ALT0153

Don't worry about power.  There's hardly any perceived loudness difference obtained between  95W/110W/130W (1.6 dB).

Buy the features you need and forget about power within the same family of receivers.

Edited by psg

Just another thing to think about here since you're talking about the 42's and whatnot...

The thing with receivers is that they are constantly changing. A local installer tells everybody that if you're on a budget, get the nicest speakers you can afford and scrimp on the receiver, because ten years from now you may very well have the same speakers, but the receiver, not so much. He's kind of right too, I have Wharfedale speakers I bought in 1998 and still rock out to them all the time, I can't make myself sell them. That was 16 years ago. So, if you agree with this maybe you should splurge on the speakers and forget Atmos for now, just get a good 5.1 setup going with a solid but basic receiver and prewire like crazy for everything else. In the future you can upgrade receivers and just add more speakers to compliment the nice ones you've already got. Basically its either get an incredible L/C/R setup that you can build on later, or have a half-assed full Atmos setup that you will probably want to upgrade every single component later.