Your smart tv is spying on you

dtel

Agreed there are too many people who say they don't  care, until the minute they wake up and realise that seemingly innocent piece of technology has eroded away a piece of THEIR privacy. I can never understand that attitude. This is MY world, my life, and my freedom, and I value it.

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 4

Americans gave up a lot of freedom with the Patriot Act.  In Canada, we had two crazy guys kill two soldiers a couple of weeks or so ago in separate incidents (which were very unfortunate) and the government is calling it terrorism and wants to pass new laws that will erode our rights.

I don't blame you, I don't like the whole idea, I wonder how the smart Tv's do this, I guess there is a little camera somewhere on it ?

I guess the next popular thing will be a website where you can go look at what these cameras are seeing, people are already posting every move they make and every thing they do on facebook, guess it's just the next step ? I did see an advertisement once for an app that let's you know when your friends are in the general area of your phone wherever you happen to be. So it tracks you and your friends, if they have something like this for civilians what is really going on is much worse.

Sounds like a movie called The Truman Show

• Like 2

I'm not doing anything spy worthy... who cares.

I agree...The thing I wonder about is how easy is it that someone we know who has a voyeuristic nature has that capability? That said, I am not worried about the Government spying on me because that would be a tremendous waste of taxpayer dollars and exactly what are they hoping to find? I just don't think they are doing it as in such an obtrusive nature that would bother me...

The flipside to all of this "smart" technology is that advertisers who do monitor trends are help bringing the cost of the products down. I also get advertising that suits my needs rather than superfluous stuff that I'm not interested in. I also agree that it's not a totally good situation but it's not as dire or troublesome as some seem to think, imo.

Edited by tkdamerica

Around here we could care less if they know what we are watching on tv. I doubt anybody other than advertisers care either. Lets face it, unless you are a bomb maker or agent for North Korea or some other radical person working for a radical country, the US government doesn't care. Last night they could have watched me eat some red beans/rice while screaming at a football game. Now that is good stuff for sure.

Not sure what is scarier - the fact that they can and do spy, or the fact that we do not care.

• Like 2