Help deciding an amp for my RF-7 HT

Jimm2

I concur with everyone to get the outlaw. Mine has been rock solid and dead quiet. It is the same as the ATI2005 model that sells for $2500. I bought mine used because it was only a year old and still under warranty. It has 2 huge Power supplies and has actually been benched at 235 wpc @8ohm. Nothing wrong with the XPA5, but it is nowhere near the specs of the Outlaw 7500.

There you go, another enthusiastic endorsement for the Outlaw 7500 from a man who has the same speaker setup.

Bill

• Like 1

**From a different poster on a forum**

I have no dog in this hunt. But, in the interest of honestly & objectively comparing the 2 products, I'll post this info. Set aside the China vs US made argument, here's what your extra $800 buys you with the Outlaw/ATI:

Power transister output devices per channel:
Outlaw 7500 - 12
Emotiva XPA5 - 6

Total Capacitor Capacity:
Outlaw 7500 - 150,000 mf
Emotiva XPA5 - 60,000 mf

Power Transformer (Power Supply) Capacity:
Outlaw 7500 - 2 X 1.6 kVA (3200 kVA) torroidal with independent windings per channelicon1.png so acts more like monoblocks
Emotiva XPA5 - 1 X 1.2 kVA

"In an independent review the 7500 was bench tested to 240wpc all channels simultaneously driven at Outlaws .03% rated THD at an 8ohm load."

You don't get something for nothing applies wink.gif

Is the Emotiva a good value?
- Depending on one's needs, yes it can be.

Is it equal in max performance to amps like Outlaw 7500, Parasound A51, etc?
- No

Double the output devices means less likely to blow fuse, overheat, blow power transistors, and more capable of providing clean output power.

> 2.5 times the total power capacity (both transformer + capacitors) means far more capable of delivering rated power (or more) to all channels driven simultaneously at lower distortion & greater S/N ratio.

There is NO comparison...the Outlaw is in a completely different league than the Emotiva & should be compared to $3000-4500 competitive amps like Parasound. If the XPA5 is "worth" $800, the Outlaw is very much worth $1600.

For my money, I'd buy the Outlaw or the ATI equivalent in a nano-second over the budget & less capable Emotiva.

Time for the Emo fanboys to start posting their glowing accolades wink.gif

I have nothing against Emotiva, in fact I'd seriously consider their XPA1 & XPA2. But I don't kid myself that the XPA5 can do the same job with the same transformer as the monoblock &2 channel versions plus handicapped with far less capacitance on tap.
  • Like 3

+1  :emotion-21: for Outlaw for the value.  FWIW, I have had their model 770 (7 x 200W) for 11 years and use it for every-day TV viewing (and a lot of music).  The build quality is solid.  My only complaint would be a brief slight low volume click/pop when powering it on.  I power it on via 12v dc trigger.  I was told normal capacitance was the cause.  No biggie.

So your room is small with a 5.1 setup and you only listen at around 90 db's? Why would you need an external amp? A flagship AVR with 140 w/ch will be more than sufficient with your room and listening levels. Save the extra money and buy another subwoofer IMO. The payoff meaning smile on your face with another sub rather than an amp will be much more satisfying.

• Like 1

So your room is small with a 5.1 setup and you only listen at around 90 db's? Why would you need an external amp? A flagship AVR with 140 w/ch will be more than sufficient with your room and listening levels. Save the extra money and buy another subwoofer IMO. The payoff meaning smile on your face with another sub rather than an amp will be much more satisfying.

Thanks for saying what was thinking.  The key to a great system is figuring out what gear will make the most impact and within budget for most of us.

• Like 1

I don't think .03%THD is something to really brag about...

Who's bragging?

It beats this $7500.00 Krell 5-channel.

CHORUS 5200

5 Channel Power Amplifier

200 Watt Amplifier Featuring Krell iBias Technology

Frequency response

20 Hz to 20 kHz +0, –0.08 dB

<0.5 Hz to 100 kHz +0, –3 dB

Signal-to-noise ratio

>95 dB, wideband, unweighted, referred to full power output

>115 dB, “A”-weighted

Gain 26.2 dB

Total harmonic distortion

<0.04% at 1 kHz, at 200 W, 8 Ω

<0.15% at 20 kHz, at 200 W, 8 Ω

Output power 200 W RMS at 8 Ω

360 W RMS at 4 Ω

Output voltage

113 V peak-to-peak

40 V RMS

Output current

13.4 A peak

Slew rate

40 V/μs

Output impedance

<0.038 W, 20 Hz to 20 kHz

Damping factor

>210, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, referred to 8W

Heat output< Standby: 3.4 BTU/hr.

Idle: 623 BTU/hr.

Maximum: 7182 BTU/hr.

Inputs

5 single-ended via RCA connector

5 balanced via XLR connector

Outputs

5 pairs binding posts

Dimensions 17.1 in. W x 7.65 in. H x 21.10 in. D

434 mm W x 194 mm H x 536 mm D

Weight

95 lbs., 43.2 kg (shipping)

85 lbs., 38.6 kg (unit only)

Edited by willland

That was the advice I gave him on another forum. :)

I thought the RF7's have a wicked impedance dip that most AVR's can't handle. I know your Denon benched pretty well though. To me pre/pro is the way to go because of the tech changes so frequently. You can keep the amp forever and just switch out pre's

I thought the RF7's have a wicked impedance dip that most AVR's can't handle. I know your Denon benched pretty well though. To me pre/pro is the way to go because of the tech changes so frequently. You can keep the amp forever and just switch out pre's

I agree about the tech changing frequently but the Flagship AVRs have also come down in price. It is the impedance dips you need to worry about with RF-7s but the upper end Denons are rated to drive speakers that are 4 ohm on all channels. Fwiw, the Denon AVR-4520ci can be had for between $1,000 to $1300 and that is cheaper than most Preamps that I've seen on the market and you get Audysseey X32 with dual subwoofer EQing which is pretty cool.

• Like 2

I thought the RF7's have a wicked impedance dip that most AVR's can't handle.

The original 7's dipped down to about 2.8 Ohms at certain frequencies.

I heard that as well but never saw any graphs showing that. Earlier in the thread I posted a link to a guy who had the RF-7IIs measured and it showed they dipped down to 3.8 Ohms and had a Sensitivity at around 96 dB/1 watt @ 1 meter. 

Edited by tkdamerica