What is a good turntable

Bigal63

Ok so my current set up is this. TECH. SL B35 turntable, PAS 3 Pre Amp and a ST 70 amp. I want to upgrade to a good old turntable, What I don't want a $1000 dollar one, well I would love to but can't justify it.  I see plenty of Dual and Maranz on line, I just dont know where to start. Anyone have a list of good ones to look for on CL, there seems to be plenty of them.

That is a hard question to answer. A good place to start is needledoctor.com. They sell turntables, and this can at least give you an idea of the varying degrees of cost. Frankly, you might just buy one from them. That's where I bought my Rega P5 with Ortofon 2M Blue cartridge.

Check out their closeouts...

Edited by mustang guy

You've gotten some really good suggestions. Needle Doctor is a great place to look. Don't overlook Pro-Ject turntables.
They have some really nice sounding tables in their lower price range and are well reviewed. I've been happy with mine and am about to upgrade the cartridge.

Thanks for all the reply's, I am kind of leaning toward an old school TT . Just because the I like rebuilding old stuff. I totally rebuilt both Dynacos and also my LaScalas.  I have compiled a list of some of the better TT and have already found several on CL. I'm sure my current TT is not doing my system justice :)

• Like 1

And that's what I've always liked about you. You've had some truly remarkable gear roll through your fingers and yet you're not high up on Mt. Olympus when it comes to helping people find gear with more modest budgets.

• Like 2

This is an "old school" turntable that while not high on the food chain has always performed well for me....Pioneer PL-530...Slap a Shure M97xe on it and it will probably do everything you need from a t/t....No mine is not for sale, it's my default deck.... :D

post-18926-0-52020000-1415149355_thumb.j

Edited by oldenough
  • Like 1

You cannot go wrong with a Technics DD table.  They last forever if you get the right model. 

Look for an SL1200 that has not been abused.  I have an SL 1200 that is highly modified that I bought new several years ago.  Built like a tank.

If you are close, I have an SL Q3 that is a very nice Technics DD table that I will let go for $150 or so.  If you can find one local, grab it. 

Serious quality for the price on any of these tables. 

You cannot go wrong with a Technics DD table.  They last forever if you get the right model. 

Look for an SL1200 that has not been abused.  I have an SL 1200 that is highly modified that I bought new several years ago.  Built like a tank.

If you are close, I have an SL Q3 that is a very nice Technics DD table that I will let go for $150 or so.  If you can find one local, grab it. 

Serious quality for the price on any of these tables. 

+1. great TT, built like a tank. I was lucky enough to buy one new about a year before they ceased production. Should last me the rest of my life.