What is a good turntable

Bigal63

Don't forget that LP play excellence depends on a triad of a good TT, cartridge, and tonearm.  I've seen LP Setups that are weakened by tonearms that are clunky or don't have the ability to convey comparable playback quality from other components between the groove and the electronics.

I'm just saying not to neglect tonearm quality in assessing units you are interested in.

Edited by LarryC

You cannot go wrong with a Technics DD table.  They last forever if you get the right model. 

Look for an SL1200 that has not been abused.  I have an SL 1200 that is highly modified that I bought new several years ago.  Built like a tank.

If you are close, I have an SL Q3 that is a very nice Technics DD table that I will let go for $150 or so.  If you can find one local, grab it. 

Serious quality for the price on any of these tables. 

Tigerwood, I have an SL-Q3 I took out of retirement a few months back.  Reviewed the manual and made adjustments.  Was using it for a month or so, and it started having a mind of it's own.  When starting, it would go over to the LP, rest down and then lift right back up and go back and stop.  Tried several LP's and with and without an old Discwasher anti-static mat.  Any ideas why this is going on?  I couldn't override it manually.  Irritates the heck out of me.  Maybe I should start over with the adjustments?  Wish I could just simply bypass the automatic start and default manual mode.

I also have a SL-DL1 linear tracking model that isn't advancing over manually or automatically.  Tried cleaning up the rails, and thought maybe a tad amount of white lithium grease would work, but I need to be able to move it back and forth on the rails to clean up the old grease and apply new.  Any recommendations?  Thanks!

First of all, I am new to this forum.

Did not find a thread to introduce myself, so sorry if I brake the rules by posting here.

And I also asked myself the same question when trying to build my first LP system. 

Went around some local audio-shops, and soon realised that decent TTs are pretty expensive for my budget. I do not like to buy used gear without checking it in person first.

Turned my attention to local ads and found one decent looking Philips 212. Picked it up and had it serviced by a good technician. Then I found a guy that has original Philips cartridges and bought one with elliptical stylus. Set it all up and aligned the tone arm. After a while I realised that my phono stage on Onkyo receiver is not really a state of the art, and bought a good phono-preamp.  Sounds good to me now and that should last for some time...

Edited by parlophone1