Heresy Mid and Tweeter Replacement

7591A

Help! The midrange and tweeter speakers in both my Heresys are blown/blowing, and I'm having difficulty finding new parts. Does anyone have a good source for these speakers? I've tried some internet sources--Layne Audio, partsexpress, speakersupply, to no avail. Ebay too, though I suspect some speakers will show up there at some point. Also, does anyone have some feedback on the improved Heresy woofer for sale at speakersupply.com? Many thanks in advance.

7591A,

CONTACT INFORMATION FOR CONSUMERS

Klipsch Home Audio Customer Service

Toll Free: 1-800-KLIPSCH (1-800-554-7724)

Available During Business Hours

E-mail: support@klipsch.com

Regards,

Greg

------------------

HK AVR20 II

Toshiba DVD

32" Toshiba TV

Odyssey Stratos

1976 LaScala's Front L&R

KV-1 Center

KG 1.5 Rear L&R

KSW-12 Sub

Two-Channel

Fisher 800C Receiver

1976 Klipsch LaScala's

Teac CDP

Pioneer TT

You do not need to replace your tweeters and/or squawkers, just the diaphram/voice coil assemblies in them. You can do this yourself if you can solder. Or any decent speaker repair shop can do it.

The parts are available from Klipsch. Some of them are available for less elsewhere. Parts for K-77 and K-77-M tweeters are the same as for Electro-Voice T35A and are available from speaker repair or pro sound shops. Parts for the K-55-V are the sames as for the Atlas PD5V and are available from speaker repair or pro sound shops. If you have the K-52-H or K-53-K squawker drivers used in the last years of Heresy production, I think your only source is Klipsch.

I play music probably moderately loud, and for moderately long lengths of time. No, I think what blew the speakers was the guitar playing. Though some purists may cry "Heresy!", some of the digital guitar simulators I have sounded, and more important, felt really nice through my integrated MacIntosh MA-230 (SS pre, tube power amp with, you guessed it, 7591A) and the Heresys. Though I didn't play it super-loud, the peaks from a guitar are different and higher than that of recorded music. Serves me right, I suppose. Thanks for the suggestions; I'm glad to know that the parts are readily available. I can solder, and will replace the parts myself. This was my first post to the Klipsch BB, and I really appreciate everyone's help.

As far as the woofer goes, I don't think you will do better than the K-24 used in the Heresy II. And that won't get you all that much better bass response than any of the woofers used in the Heresys. If you are looking for better bass reponse, you will need to get a good subwoofer.

7591A

hahahahahaha

I sing through a pair of Heresy's used for Vocals only on top of a pair of Cornwalls. The Cornwalls are used for music only, sent in the bottoms. (Think, dare I say it... Karaoke.)

The Heresy speakers are run through a Mackie 1604 VLZ mixer with pro digital effects, Shure SM58 mics and sound better than any PA speaker I have ever heard. With just music coming out of the Cornwalls...This system rocks and sounds studio quality in its clearness, presence, and dynamics too.

And with dare I say it again..Karaoke discs getting to be very very close if not the exact copy of the music we all love.. Its a lot of fun and a great hobby!

If you buy a good compressor limiter...you can do what you have already. Personally I would buy a Line 6 modual...(incredible effects) and go from there.

Anyhow, Enjoy and good luck!!!

Indy,

You're not the first person I've heard of who used Heresies as a PA speaker. Thanks for the compressor suggestion; I hadn't thought of that, though it wouldn't work with my current hifi system, since the aged MacIntosh has certainly no way of accomodating signal processing gear. Perhaps I should buy another pair of Heresies and a mixer and tube power amp as a small but dedicated PA system. The digital gear I'm using is a Roland VG-8, a digital guitar modeler like the Line 6 products. The VG-8 simulates the entire guitar signal chain, from guitar body and pickup to the speaker and microphone, as well as some acoustic guitars and synth-like sounds, so it really needs and benefits from full-range reproduction as opposed to a guitar cabinet. Ciao,

7591A,

I installed the Layne woofers in my Hersey's and think it lower the bass response some and more importantly it tightened the bass response and made the speaker alot less flabby when playing heavy bass rock and roll. But hey that's just my ears Smile.gif

Craig

------------------

Nos.gif

HH Scott 299 Amp

HH Scott LT-110B Tuner

HH Scott P-87 Turn Table

JVC JL-F50 Turn Table

Sony CDP-CA7ES CD Drive

1985 Walnut Heresey I W/Layne Audio Woofers

KSW-15 Subs>c>

• 18 years later...

Hi all, newbie here with question about my speakers. I bought my Heresey's new in 1977 and have a blown tweeter I think, I haven't tested the crossovers yet. The serial #'s are 25P006/7 so I'm not sure which gen these are, but the tweeters serial# is 51685 model K-77. I read the thread about replacing just the cones and can I still get original parts or are the upgrades discussed a better way to go? Thanks in advance for any advice.