5.1 to 4.0

TJIann

I'm guessing this has been covered several times before, but before I was a member.  As seen in my other post, I've set up my 5.1 system around Klipsch Heritage speakers.  However, after learning here on the forum about the "phantom center" concept, I decided to turn off my small RC-25 center and try that so I was just  running my Cornwall IIs as mains and Heresys as rears.  Then I went ahead and turned off the sub since it's not needed to listen to music with these speakers.  So, I effectively had a 4.0 system with a phantom center.  I started by listening to SACDs to get the surround.  But to my surprise, when I put regular CDs and HD stereo music on and left the system in surround mode, it sounded amazing.  I am blown away at how well the Cornwall and Heresy speakers work together.  The sound dynamics are just incredible.   So, how many use their system like this for stereo recordings?  Any pitfalls, 'cause it really seems to sound great to me.

Edited by TJIann

Then I went ahead and turned off the sub since it's not needed to listen to music with these speakers. Any pitfalls, 'cause it really seems to sound great to

This depends on what music your listening to. Being a firm believer in subs, I think all systems should have one including yours. ;)

Edited by Turbox
  • Like 1

Then I went ahead and turned off the sub since it's not needed to listen to music with these speakers. Any pitfalls, 'cause it really seems to sound great to

This depends on what music your listening to. Being a firm believer in subs, I think all systems should have one including yours. ;)

Well, flipping the sub on is easy.  No preamp reprogramming needed like for the center.  I think you are right.  The style of music matters for sure.  But after living with Heresy speakers as my mains for a while, it's nice to be able to shut off the sub with the Cornwalls which provide a lot of bass.  :)

I'm guessing this has been covered several times before, but before I was a member.  As seen in my other post, I've set up my 5.1 system around Klipsch Heritage speakers.  However, after learning here on the forum about the "phantom center" concept, I decided to turn off my small RC-25 center and try that so I was just  running my Cornwall IIs as mains and Heresys as rears.  Then I went ahead and turned off the sub since it's not needed to listen to music with these speakers.  So, I effectively had a 4.0 system with a phantom center.  I started by listening to SACDs to get the surround.  But to my surprise, when I put regular CDs and HD stereo music on and left the system in surround mode, it sounded amazing.  I am blown away at how well the Cornwall and Heresy speakers work together.  The sound dynamics are just incredible.   So, how many use their system like this for stereo recordings?  Any pitfalls, 'cause it really seems to sound great to me.

I run that set up also. The Cornwalls and heresys sound fantastic. I did also added a small sealed svs sb2000 sub for 40 and below. But really wouldn't need it for anything but movies. The corns have amazing bass as you know. 

Yeah, I used a phantom center for at least a year and a half.  The way I'm setup it worked great....IMO nothing beats a 2-channel BIG!! full range set up for music. I usually alway set my Pioneer AVR to a 2-channel mode..(PureDirect) for music with no center. Sometimes though with a good mix you can pick up more detail in all the instruments used in surround mode..(again with my center channel turned off)......I also thought that not using a center for movies gave the vocals and the center mixed soundFX a lot more grunt and impact, you just don't get the full panning effect in your font stage, it still works but not to full effect......PS.. I'm never buying a small center channel again, and will for the rest of my life match my L-C-R fronts if space allows...i.e. 3 Forte IIs up front. My RC 64 just sounds small compared to my Forte's. It may just be my seating position in relation to the distance to my front stage...may be too close to the center.

• Like 1

• Moderators
PS.. I'm never buying a small center channel again, and will for the rest of my life match my L-C-R fronts if space allows...i.e. 3 Forte IIs up front.

That's what I use also, and original forte's for rears, the extra forte ll is used as a rear center

The moral of this story is to get the proper center or use nothing at all (go phantom). Sage advice.

Exactly, it makes a huge difference being a perfect match.

I've been considering downsizing from 5.1 to 3.0 or 3.1.

I feel like I get very little benefit from my surrounds, and I would not be without my nice sounding MTM center speaker.  I know I will lose something without the sub, but geez my Klipsch CF-4 L/R has dual 12's...

Edited by wvu80

I've been considering downsizing from 5.1 to 3.0 or 3.1.

I feel like I get very little benefit from my surrounds, and I would not be without my nice sounding MTM center speaker.  I know I will lose something without the sub, but geez my Klipsch CF-4 L/R has dual 12's...

Why not 4.0 for music like the OP? Those CF-4's have a huge range. From the Klipsch specs: 34Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB

I see no reason for a sub for 99.9% of the music. Frankly, you may be better off just disabling the sub unless you are watching movies with LFE.

• Like 1

Frankly, you may be better off just disabling the sub unless you are watching movies with LFE.
I agree too, with the sub turned off you will get more mid-range and lower-mid expression in music. I find when I turn my sub off my speakers just sound better balanced, meaning less harsh upper frequencies and smother mid-range while adding power to drums, electric guitar, smoothing out vocals and giving any brass sections or lower frequency strings and woodwinds more body/balls. All of our systems are so diverse but with my Forte's and AVR they like full-range, they get a bit harsh when cut below 80hz like the mid-horn and tweeter get over driven a bit.