Best woofer for Belle

Stevenarrow

Maybe this one?

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-kappa-15c-15-driver-4-ohm--290-459

I read that it might perform better than the k33.

The only thing about that particular driver that stands out is it's tiny xmax (2.4mm).  That's about 1/3 of the K-33. 

Reading the reviews one guy said 'more bass' from the Eminence. That seems counter-intuitive. 

Is there any forum member using this driver? What are your thoughts?

Maybe this one?

Since you are crossing at 500 Hz. for a Belle, the high frequency performance of this woofer is hard to beat. I also has tighter bass. Go for it. Besides, it's the best bang for the buck out there without a doubt.

Maybe this one?

The only thing about that particular driver that stands out is it's tiny xmax (2.4mm).  That's about 1/3 of the K-33. 

Reading the reviews one guy said 'more bass' from the Eminence. That seems counter-intuitive. 

Is there any forum member using this driver? What are your thoughts?

In the Klipsch papers, it was mentioned that when the Khorn's woofer excursion was measured, it topped out at 1/16th of an inch at full output. The point of horn loading is to keep the cone excursion low to get lower distortion. This is about 1.5 MM, so 2.5 is overkill for any of the Klipsch horn loaded bass. Keep in mind that the woofer will never see more than 10 Watt PEAKS at loud volumes, with about 1/4 watt being typical input. So it's low distortion and linear with no power compression. So unless your are using a Belle for PA, whre you would need higher power and excursion capabilites (for survival, not better sound) the 15C is the best woofer for the money. buy with confidence.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

Maybe this one?

Since you are crossing at 500 Hz. for a Belle, the high frequency performance of this woofer is hard to beat. I also has tighter bass. Go for it. Besides, it's the best bang for the buck out there without a doubt.

Claude, you like the 15C over the Crites Castframe?

Claude, you like the 15C over the Crites Cast frame?

I don't want to speak for Claude, but I read most of the info on the 15C in his thread about the Quarter Pie Bass Horn.  I believe it talks about the Crites Cast in there as well.  It's a really good thread and worth the read.  It talks about the Belle and 15C vs the K33 specifically in the very first post.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/148054-quarter-pie-bass-horn-measured-fr-how2build-and-hornresp/

Maybe this one?

Claude, you like the 15C over the Crites Castframe?

For a Belle or LaScala, yes. I like the Crites cast frame for a Khorn only, since it improves both the high and the low end slightly over a K33. The 15C is a very good woofer for a Belle or LaScala. Inexpensive and it fits. I would also recommend it for a Cornwall. It puts out an extra db or so in the 500-600 Hz. range where you need it without sacrificing any bass. Belles and LS bins roll off at 105 Hz., so having a K-33 for those is a trade-off. You get very little extra bass but you get better midrange where it counts with the 15C. It's also a tighter bass.

So Kappa C for the Cornwall also?

is there any other no compromise/cost 15"er to be considered?

I remember the video your of the Klipsch factory where the employee was talking about how the Cornwall 1 had a gap between the woofer and the midrange. It seems this would be a perfect driver to replace a stock Corn if it has that gap problem.

Everything is a compromise in engineering. I'ts 4 ohm impedance is desirable for Klipsch mid/treble horn sections because the woofer section needs to draw more power from the amp to keep up with the horns on all Klipsch products.

Based on my extensive LISTENING  when I had a 15C in my Quarter Pies (along with measurements), it provided tighter bass than a K-33 and more output at 500-600 Hz., which is where one would need it to mate with all the Klipsch Heritage products.

The Cast frame Crites provides a performance improvement over the K-33 also, but is more evident in a Khorn or Cornwall rather than a LaScala or Belle.

Overall, either the Crites or the 15C are better in the Cornwall 1 with a B network.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

Everything is a compromise in engineering. I'ts 4 ohm impedance is desirable for Klipsch mid/treble horn sections because the woofer section needs to draw more power from the amp to keep up with the horns on all Klipsch products.

Not a smart strategy to balance drivers.  :mellow:

I also have a pair of 15C's installed in one of my pairs of Cornwalls, and they are outstanding.  Another pair in boxes waiting to go into my Belles.  Claude knows of what he speaks....or something like that....He's a little slow designing my new crossovers for the "Super Cornwalls"......but I forgive him..... :emotion-19:

Not a smart strategy to balance drivers.

If it's not smart, why did Klipsch do it on all their horn bass units? Khorn, LS, Belle, MWM, then they pad down the treble sections with autoformers. Now you want to argue with Klipsch heritage decisions from decades ago? I don't get the nature of you comment. You know better.