Why

Kelly McAloney

• Moderators

I have some inexpensive banana plugs like the ones below and after awhile, they tend to get loose.  You can take a razor blade and gently bend the prongs out more to tighten the fit.

GOLDPLATED_HEADER.jpg

I have some other ones that are locking (like below) that I REALLY like.  Once you insert them into the binding post, you twist the base to expand the insert so they are always tight.

connectors_bgold.jpg

Here is a diagram of how this type of banana plug expands when you tighten them.

hbp-cd.jpg

• Like 4

• Moderators

Easy fix then....use a razor blade or maybe a super thin screwdriver to gently pry the prongs out a bit until they get snug.  Honestly, it's not a great design.  I almost threw my set away when Wakejunkie showed me the razor tip.

• Like 1

There is always the option of not using them.  I have had some but currently don't use any.  No need to keep changing out the speaker connection in most systems.

Agreed, for permanent installs, bare wire is great.  If you do a lot of moving/swapping/changing, banana's are very fast and convenient.

It's never tight when the hole is bigger than the pole... ;)

I've never had that issue.

Let's stay away from that... ;)

I also have the locking banana plugs.

I got bunch of them quite a long ago when I had no idea on stereo things.

It's so stupid that same thing happened and I tried to pry the prongs out to make it bigger and one broke. 

Then I saw the screw in tab that does it. :huh:

Here is a pic of them before I broke one of them, they are from GLS Audio:

GLS-Audio-Banana-Plugs.png

post-59207-0-09940000-1415295634_thumb.p

Edited by Mystery

I have some inexpensive banana plugs like the ones below and after awhile, they tend to get loose.  You can take a razor blade and gently bend the prongs out more to tighten the fit.

GOLDPLATED_HEADER.jpg

I have some other ones that are locking (like below) that I REALLY like.  Once you insert them into the binding post, you twist the base to expand the insert so they are always tight.

connectors_bgold.jpg

Here is a diagram of how this type of banana plug expands when you tighten them.

hbp-cd.jpg

Youthman, have you used the Harpoon brand above?  They seem like a good deal direct form Sewell 8 pairs for $28.95.  They look different from the first ones you pictured.