Why

Kelly McAloney

• Moderators

Mine have a similar harpoon mechanism, but mine are not the ones from Sewell. Bought mine from a forum member. I also have some non locking from GLS and they work great but are not locking. IMO, the locking type are much better and should last longer

Kelly ....go with  either the dead bolt type or spade connector on the speaker and be done.. Check out links

http://sewelldirect.com/Sewell-Deadbolt-Banana-Plugs-6-Pair.asp

http://sewelldirect.com/Spade-Connector-Full-Copper-45-Degree-Angle-6-Pack.asp

That deadbolt type is not good.

I have similar ones and it doesn't have screws to tighten the wire.

I have pulled the wire completely off those banana plugs when I pulled on the wires.

Get the ones with screw/s to tighten on the bare wire.

The idea of the dead bolt ones is to push the wire in and fold it over the little teeth and fan it out then screw the assembly together ...you will not be able to pull it out

That's what I did exactly but those teeth don't hold wire as good as the screws, specially if the wire is made up of thin strands.

Better than using a razor blade to spread them out, grab one and use the end of a screw driver or something and thump it on the nose a few times. It spreads them out with one hit, nice and easy. Banana plugs is all I use, So hold the back end and hit the part that plugs in dead center and watch it spread out. If it spreads too wide, don't worry just gently push them in a little.