D-BOX DAVID 300 vs PARADIGM PW-2200

Mooch

Hey guys,

im thinking of upgrading to the pw-2200, but have two concerns:

-Will i get more than double the output at 20hz and above compared to the d-box david 300.

and

-Will 12 inches away from rear wall, and 13 inches away from side wall be enough to keep it from being boomy.(it will be placed in corner and firing into opening 19 feet ahead of it)

Please help, since i can not demo this sub at home.

Thanks!

25 Hz is pretty low, it might be at low volumes.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

The Paradigm PW2200 bests the D-BOX David sub with ease.In output,deep bass,driver quality,box quality and amp.

Will you get double the output(+6dB)? I did not test the D-Box max SPL nor measure its deep bass limits using a SPL meter.

One thing I can tell you at 25 and 31.5Hz the Paradigm is one class above the D-Box.Using my trusty ears and test CD's.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Mooch-

I can't argue with Ear's technical comments since he is one of the most knowledgable sub-humans here. I have the PW2200 and love it. I matches up great with my Chorus II/Forte II combo.

Currently, I have it in a similar position as you describe: about 18" away from the rear wall, snuggled right up against the side wall, firing to the front of the room about 11' away, between the side wall and the back of a love seat. I picked that location because it was a good bass spot, found by hefting the PW2200 into my listening chair, turning it on, and walking around the room to find a good location. It isn't boomy at all and fills in great where the speakers leave off.

You can't go wrong with that sub.

Mooch,

YEs even placed in a corner a well designed sub will work great.And the PW2200 is a very well designed sub.

Boomy it will not be unless you cut it off too high,80Hz or under.And the bbomy effect(nasty frequency bootsts)may more often be amplified by the room itself.If you keep the sub working on the very deep bass you should have no major problems.

I try to keep subs out of corners but even when placed in the corner and as close as 6 inches from the wall my subs all work great.And are not in any case "boomy"

With cheapo trash can subs like the $ony WM40 no matter where you position the sub you will have a nasty coloration often described as boomyness by users with clean ears.The WM40 is irritating and an insult to music.The cabinet is as sturdy as a cardboard box and the driver cone moves about as much air as most long throw 6.5 inch woofers.Colored and well...boomy.

The Paradigm PW2200 is a few quality and performance classes above.So the boomy part is a non issue,unless you cut the sub as high as it can be cut and stick it in some empty room with no furniture. LOL

Damn I like to bash(no not BASH amps!)cheapo products.

TheEAR(s) Now theears