CHAD - I suggest a gatekeeper for new member IDs

eth2

No forum is immune from spam, it's just an inherent reality. Empowering mods and ensuring software updates are properly applied is all you should really be doing. Forcing legitimate sign ups to wait until a gate keeper can get around to approving is counter productive and requires more effort than just cleaning up spam every day.

I will ask though: are you guys performing IP band or just usernames? I guess my assumption there is that they aren't sophisticated enough to be using proxies or bots, but since no one saw fit to elect me for moderator I obviously don't have that detail.

• Administrators

Part of our service with Invision Power includes the Spam prevention service. Without that, the forums would be ALL SPAM ALL THE TIME.

A few are getting through the cracks. When we flag them as spammers, they get banned, all posts deleted, and reported to the spam service, which uses the data to identify trends and help detect more spammers. I've also been banning IPs and in some cases entire blocks of IP addresses. We'll get 'em.

We'll always get some that slip through occasionally. This is why we have mods :-)

We aren't going to hold new user signups for manual approval. We just don't have the time or manpower. Our money is better spent making great speakers and headphones. ;-)

• Like 6

No spam. More Kelly.

AMEN!  What a wonderful guy!  I don't poke around so I really don't know why he left us.  He emailed me a couple of years after leaving to tell me how much his mother enjoyed the piano recording I'd sent him.  He seemed good.

Miss a lot of those old timers who've drifted away over the years.

Dave

Hey Chad, you might look into the Spam Assassin mod.  I don't know if it's still being updated for IPS 3.4...but I know when I was running my own Invision forum we used that in connection with the built in spam filtration.  Might give it a check.  I think it was a one time fee of $25.

Why is a SKYPE link showing up in the date of every thread?  Is that Spam? 

Or is that a new forum "feature."  B)

I'm not certain exactly what you are looking at; however, do you have SKYPE running in the background?  Sometimes when I do, it seems that SKYPE will try to convert a date into a phone number for a quick link for me.

Thanks, Dave and Michael, you were both right.

It's a new Skype program called "Click to call" and I don't remember installing it, I think it installed itself when I upgraded my Skype recently.

Every single date on the discussion board where threads are listed lit up with Skype blue on the dates, and tried to get me to Skype with those dates.  I went to Control Panel, Remove Programs and un-installed Skype Click to Call.  Problem solved.