Schiit talk (dac ordered)

The Dude

Ok, my laptop idea didn't work out to well as it makes some horrible sounds when hooked to my receiver.  I am thinking of building a htpc, if so would I still need a dac.  Or could I just build the dac in with the htpc.   How could I build a low cost htpc that doesn't sound like crap.  I know I would like to stream movies down the road, but for now music is what is important.  Actually lets just stick with music play back, as when I am done with the basement I can move this HTPC to the garage.  So really my needs are a simple HTPC that I can connect to my network to access my music, via remote app on my phone.  It must sound decent and be able to play back flac.   Wow I really simplified that.   If I can't build the dac into it, then I guess it gives me reason to buy another piece of audio gear.

Edited by duder1982
  • Like 1

external dac may solve your problem, There are several low priced options to experiment with.  If it were me I would take advantage of the Schiit Modi deal for 99.00 it sounds very good , and if you dont like it they have a return policy

http://schiit.com/products/modi

Edited by joessportster
  • Like 1

You don't need anything fancy to get a good sound out of a computer based system. A good USB DAC takes care of that, or an AVR iif you want to output vidoe as well (then you would want an HDMI connection). My main music computer is an old Gateway that got demoted a couple of years ago. The computer is just supplying the 1s and 0s, the DAC takes care of the rest. You might want to look into some good software however like JRiver  to run the show.

Edited by tromprof

This will be for my 2 channel rig, not so much pc system where I sit.  My cd player starting making some funny noise, I figured since i have my music on a usb hard drive connected to my router acting as NAS in way.  I just want to be able to access those tunes and control it with my phone.

This looks like its worth a try, if it doesn't fix my laptop noise. I could then proceed to build a htpc for music and still utilize this with the htpc.

If it were me I would take advantage of the Schiit Modi deal for 99.00 it sounds very good , and if you dont like it they have a return policy

The HT PC I built uses an Asus Xonar. There is a USB version of this here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132073

It will give you analog outs for 5.1 channels. You would use a stereo mini to L/R RCA going into your receiver. The center channel is shared with the sub, so you have 6 channels actually, and one of them is the sub. There is also an optical output, which would give your laptop that interface if needed. There are cheaper and more expensive things out there, but the Xonar is the one I have been using.

edit: FYI, for other folks, here is the 7.1 version of this external USB DAC/sound card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132067&cm_re=asus_xonar-_-29-132-067-_-Product

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1