TPA3116 Amp? What is it?

Karsoncookie

Poking around the web, I don't really get it, but bottom line is it ?seems? you can get a decent amp for like $20. WHAAAT?? Can somebody give me a brief summed up answer "like to a 5 yr old" please!!

How can this be??  Sounds so BS but I don't get it. I need something to feed La Scalas or Cornscala C.   2 channel.   Karson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Class_T_amplifier

The amplifiers you linked all contain the same type of integrated circuit, (chip) which is a switching type amplifier circuit.

It operates in the megahertz range, and is brought to audio band frequencies with the use of a low pass filter. (the little coil thingies you see on the circuit boards)

Sumthin' like that...

It's actually a very nice Class D amp.  I bought one similar to this...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50Wx2-Official-version-Finished-TPA3116D2-Class-T-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Board-/311131698963?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item4870e4f713

and stuffed it into a cheap Radio Shack plastic project box.

Powered by a $15 19V laptop power supply, it's amazing.

The finished one you see has two of these chips, one of which is bridged mono.

Listening to mine right now through Heresy's I'm upgrading.

MIke

I bought the "yj blue board" version for $20, swapped out some parts with higher end alternatives for $30 and scrounged through my father in law's HAM parts rack for a 12v/7a linear power supply. Sounds great in my main system, though I'm about to swap it out for something else and move it out to the garage with some Yamaha PA speakers.

Good luck with your search and ultimate decision!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50Wx2-Official-version-Finished-TPA3116D2-Class-T-Digital-Power-Amplifier-Board-/311131698963?pt=US_Amplifier_Parts_Components&hash=item4870e4f713

Powered by a $15 19V laptop power supply, it's amazing.

The finished one you see has two of these chips, one of which is bridged mono.

Listening to mine right now through Heresy's I'm upgrading.

MIke

How quiet is it with the laptop power supply? 

I ask because I have a few extra 19V supplies and I want to add a few extra zones.  This looks to be a really good solution. 

WIthout checking I think that the power supplies should have enough amps (they are 65w so I guess about 5.4 amps).