CT-125 tweeters in La Scala?

cyto

I was wonder if those that have Bob Crite's CT-125 tweeters in their La Scalas would chime in with opinions. 

I am not dissatisfied with the stock K-77s just wonder if the change is worth the price (in your opinion of course) considering it as an upgrade. With my KG4s and Heresy's I put titanium tweeters in and liked it, not an option with the La Scala.

Christmas is coming soon and I was thinking of asking Santa to bring me a pair   :)

• Like 1

I put the CT125's in mine along with the Crites A/4500 crossovers.  I cannot really speak as to how much the improvement in sound is owing to the 125's or xovers , When they arrived I was too anxious to hear them to just swap in the tweets.  I wish I had. They do sound fantastic and were a marked improvement over the old 77's and tired AA crossovers.  

Maybe ask Santa for the tweets and post a WTB for A/4500's?  You certainly won't be disappointed and you worked hard this year so you deserve it. Right?

• Like 2

I put the CT125's in mine along with the Crites A/4500 crossovers.  I cannot really speak as to how much the improvement in sound is owing to the 125's or xovers , When they arrived I was too anxious to hear them to just swap in the tweets.  I wish I had. They do sound fantastic and were a marked improvement over the old 77's and tired AA crossovers.  

Maybe ask Santa for the tweets and post a WTB for A/4500's?  You certainly won't be disappointed and you worked hard this year so you deserve it. Right?

I already re-capped the AA crossovers that were in it, so I do not plan on changing the crossovers. If I do change them I will build some myself.

• Like 1

I like the sound of the Ct-125 a little better than the K-77. But for me the biggest reason to go to them was to lower the crossover to 4500 HZ. It really does improve the overall sound of the speaker, the K55/K400 combo is really at their limits with the standard (6000 HZ ?) crossover point and it affects the sound.

• Like 1

They don't seem to be quite as sensitive as the K77 which was what I was after in the beginning.  If the K77 is a little hot for you, the CT may be the way to go. I ran them for around a year in a pair of LaScalas and swapped back to the K77's and realized just how much more tame the CT's are.    I ended up keeping the K77's in, but I have stock X-over points. For me the 77's brought more upper mid clarity back. After all this I realized I didn't need or want a tweeter that had a  response up to 20khz, the K77, (as buzzy as it is) just mated better with the K55 for my ears. 

As has been noted several times on this forum there is considerable variation in K-77s. Some are more/less sensitive than others, and Klipsch tried to "match" K-77s when putting them in pairs. So yours may or may not be hotter than CT-125s. My first pair sounded a bit brighter to me than the K-77s they replaced (that was with a type A network). 

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but don't Bob's CT 125s require the A/4500 crossover?  So if you were to get the CT 125s, you would also have to get the A/4500s.

No. They can use a lower crossover point than the K77, but certainly don't require one. They go both lower and higher than the K77.

The reverse is true... the 4500 crossover requires a tweeter that can go that low.  Don't try to run the k77 that low.

My favorite upgrade was a fastrac horn but I'd think you would find that a crossover with the ability to attenuate would be desirable.  

I found the CT125 a little softer than every K77 I ever had.

As has been noted several times on this forum there is considerable variation in K-77s. Some are more/less sensitive than others, and Klipsch tried to "match" K-77s when putting them in pairs. So yours may or may not be hotter than CT-125s. My first pair sounded a bit brighter to me than the K-77s they replaced (that was with a type A network). 

I have 3 pair of K77m's from the late 80's and mid 90's and none of them had less output compared to the CT-125's.  I don't disagree with your statement, but I think its safe to say the CT-125's 104db output is exaggerated a bit.

• Like 1

I like the CT125s a LOT better than the K77s. Much smoother without the raspy sound you get. Maybe it's the raspiness that makes them sound hotter than theCT125s. It's an easy switch, which only took about ten minutes to get done.

I later switched to the same driver on the Eminence horn, placed on top of the cabinets for an even better sound.

Bruce

I like the CT125s a LOT better than the K77s. Much smoother without the raspy sound you get. Maybe it's the raspiness that makes them sound hotter than theCT125s. It's an easy switch, which only took about ten minutes to get done.

I later switched to the same driver on the Eminence horn, placed on top of the cabinets for an even better sound.

Bruce

Maybe I had a pair of the 125's that had less output than they should have. I didn't mind the sound, but it was like they were not near as notable by my ears from the lesser output and I'm not one that likes a "hot" tweeter. For me the K77 matched better with my K55's, but my ears are far from great or even good.

Anymore, I'm finding out what's good on paper may not be good for my ears and the same or different for others.

Edited by Max2

I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but don't Bob's CT 125s require the A/4500 crossover?  So if you were to get the CT 125s, you would also have to get the A/4500s.

My understanding is that the A/4500 requires the CT-125, not the other way around.

I am actually thinking of ALK universal crossovers