Get low

Kelly McAloney

i have owned two of the pb-13 ultras. and why they are fantastic subs i do not think they are worth their asking price with other options out there. you have a HUGE room and would easily need two of those and even then would still be pushing them hard at reference volumes. can you stretch your budget? try looking into maybe a used or a new JTR orbit shifter or JTR S2. i would say for the extra 1000 bucks an S2 would Equal 3 svs ultras and the orbit shifter would equal probably 5 of them. if i were you i would go with the orbit shifter if you can fit it. they have an unreal amount of output which you NEED bad in that huge room

my hole upstairs Is900 square feet ( open concept)

How much of the 900ft2(7200ft3 +) is actual HT/entertainment area?

Only about 2500ft3 of my 6000ft3 open family room/nook/kitchen is entertainment seating area.  My four subs are more than enough to create a low frequency infused HT experience.  Now if I was to utilize more of the space for HT, then I might have to rethink some things.

If you are trying to fill that 7200ft3+ space with real impact, then a couple of DIY 18's may be in order.  

Bill

On many forums and in general people say that the sub will see the whole space but, that is not entirely true as Bill pointed out.  Proximity will play a big part in the tactile feel department.  Particle velocity and distance can make a big difference.  Nearfield placement Is an excellent choice.  The vented subs have a port and the speaker cone producing particle velocity which is why they perform better down to 15 Hz than most sealed system.

The vented subs have a 24 db roll-off at tuning and output drops off fast.  A sealed system with a 12 db roll-off combined with room gain in under 2400 cuft. space will have much more output below 15 Hz.  For the OP room size, vented are the way to go unless she wants 2-3 times the number of sealed units. 

Edited by derrickdj1

If the mains are heritage a horn sub is a better mate.  Otherwise, two of the R-115's, or the subs in post #13 will do the job.  The room  will sound better with at least two subs.

Why would it matter if the mains are Heritige or not ?

I agree two subs will help smooth out room modes but i would take one good subwoofer over two or even three average ones any day of the week.

If you want the job done any subwoofer will suffice, if you want the best sound buy a better sounding product.

• Like 1

If the mains are heritage a horn sub is a better mate. Otherwise, two of the R-115's, or the subs in post #13 will do the job. The room will sound better with at least two subs.

Why would it matter if the mains are Heritige or not ?

I agree two subs will help smooth out room modes but i would take one good subwoofer over two or even three average ones any day of the week.

If you want the job done any subwoofer will suffice, if you want the best sound buy a better sounding product.

besides the Klipsch sub I don't think anything suggested has been an "average" sub. But I feel the same way. I'd take a single more powerful sub vs two mediocre ones. That is why I suggested a horn in that big if a room. Either diy horn or JTR orbit shifter sounds like the way to go.

i would take one good subwoofer over two or even three average ones any day of the week.

I'd take a single more powerful sub vs two mediocre ones.

SVS apparently disagrees, they are known to strongly recommend two PB-2000's over one SB13-Ultra. But hey, what do they know.

Multiple subs can eliminate dead spots and easier to setup than trying to get even frequency throughout the room with one sub.

However, they should be at similar level subs.

Multiple crappy subs will sound crappy compared to one decent sub.

Edited by Mystery

Why would it matter if the mains are Heritige or not ? I agree two subs will help smooth out room modes but i would take one good subwoofer over two or even three average ones any day of the week. If you want the job done any subwoofer will suffice, if you want the best sound buy a better sounding product.

Tight bass is what people like about horn sub and all horn systems.  It is a function of compression thur the narrow throat.  Horn sub in the old days were limited in the under 30 Hz area partly due to this compression.  That no longer exist, Danley comes to mind.  Horn boxes are large in comparison to most marketed direct radiator subs.  Direct radiator today have great xmax and the drivers can take a lot of power which makes them great for HT.  In general they are not has efficient.  One is not better that the other, just personal preference.  With the advent of HT the manufacturing of direct radiator took off.  My experience with horn subs is very limited and feel free to make additional comments. :)

i would take one good subwoofer over two or even three average ones any day of the week.

I'd take a single more powerful sub vs two mediocre ones.

SVS apparently disagrees, they are known to strongly recommend two PB-2000's over one SB13-Ultra. But hey, what do they know.

funny when i bought from them they recommended one pb-13 ultra over two of their lesser subs. so id say they are all typical salesman, and they have their own opinion. and id also take two PORTED 2000's over the SEALED 13 ultra. sure thats a no brainer. 

now you can read back to my other posts where i told the OP that the pb-13 ultra isn't gonna do it in that large of a room. and even a pair of them would struggle. which is why i recommended a horn subwoofer of some sort. and jason said they very same thing. a lot of these guys on here have been doing horn loaded subs for a while. id listen to them when it came time to get a sub for a large space any day over a salesman at svs.