Get low

Kelly McAloney

Absolute best for a large room for about 2 grand with super low movie effects in mind... build four huge ported UltiMax 18's tuned to like 15 hz powered by two iNuke 6000 DSP's.  Drivers and amps would be $1,800 worst case, possibly less if you can haggle.  The other $200 will get you about six sheets of MDF.  You probably need more wood than that though.  :)  

Pictou,Nova Scotia

Does anyone else live there?  :P

Jes' kidding.

Anyway, you might want to check the Parts Express Dayton subs.  They are inexpensive, get very good reviews, and, IMHO, fine for HT which seems to be your main interest.  If you really think you need two, a couple of these would likely scratch your itch.  

Dave

Which is better, one more powerful sub or two slightly weaker subs.  Two slightly weaker subs should out perform the one sub.    Two subs will have a higher output, and lower distortion that may equal the one sub if the difference between them is 3-6 db., two subs deliver a more even room respone due to standing waves, and two subs look cool :P . The diagram below demonstrates the effects on standing waves and room response.

Edited by derrickdj1

Are u saying I should build 4 18"subs

I'm saying life is full of interesting compromises. :)

Yes that is probably within your budget or at least close and would absolutely kill anything else we have been talking about here. It also has a very large footprint, you literally need nearly 60 cubic feet internal dimensions, then running multiple iNukes may strain your electrical unless you have multiple circuits. But, you wanted the best most badass and lowest setup for 2 grand... so yeah, four 18's in a ported box tuned to 15 hz. If that's not doable for whatever reason then its time to compromise.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I have a sw112 300 watt and it just doesn't do it for me, I can go bigger, maybe not orbit shifter or 4 18" subs, I have neighbours, it's more for music than movies, I like hsu and svs, I just don't know the first thing about diy, I get so caught up in options than have trouble deciding, but I do appreciate all the feed back just want something that really shakes

Edited by Kelly McAloney

I have two of the new Klipsch 15's

I have a sw112 300 watt and it just doesn't do it for me, I can go bigger, maybe not orbit shifter or 4 18" subs, I have neighbours, it's more for music than movies, I like hsu and svs, I just don't know the first thing about diy, I get so caught up in options than have trouble deciding, but I do appreciate all the feed back just want something that really shakes

What kind of music? Rap is easy.

• Moderators
After all this, I personally think you'd be quite happy for your purposes with a single Klipsch R-12SW 12" 200 Watt Powered Subwoofer at 449.00 delivered.

Dave, I'm not confident at all that a 12" sub can handle a 900 square foot room.  That's 3x the size of my HT.  Mere physics come into play here and I just don't see 12" moving enough air in that size room.

I started with a single 10" Velodyne, moved up to a single 15" Velodyne, then to a dual 15" Velodyne setup to a single Klipsch RSW-15 and now to dual Klipsch RSW-15.  All I know is the single RSW-15 performed as good (if not slightly better) than dual Velodyne HGS15's.  A single RSW-15 would do MUCH better than a single 12" sub would.  If you felt you needed more, you could always purchase a second RSW-15 down the road.  They can be had for around $900 each and sometimes even for a lot less. 

After all this, I personally think you'd be quite happy for your purposes with a single Klipsch  R-12SW 12" 200 Watt Powered Subwoofer at 449.00 delivered.  You save some space, get to keep your wife, and still rattle the windows.

I have two of the new Klipsch R-sw115's, and while there is admittedly better stuff to be had, which is also true on any other brand's offerings as far as that goes, I can't imagine that the average consumer would actually want a whole hell of a lot more. I had the gain way up and had Metallica going so hard that our seats were shaking HARD on the bass guitar, it was totally encapsulating, so much that you get that weird tingly feeling once the music stops. Once calibrated properly, I am much more limited by what our ears can handle on the mids and highs, and never due to the subs. Yet, that's not enough? Really? :) Sometimes I think dudes wayyyyyyyy overthink stuff and/or just don't have things set up right in terms of optimal placement in their room.

I have neighbours

As for neighbors, is this an apartment or a separate house? Last night the kids were watching the animated DreamWorks "spooky stories", on NetFlix, which kind of sucks for bass response, yet my kitchen dishes were rattling even at -25 db on a weak mix. The sound has to exit the theater room, go through a mud/utility room, through the dining/living area and to the other side of the kitchen, and I still had dishes rattling, on a friggin netflix cartoon, through multiple rooms and on the other side of a 9,000 cubic foot great room, and the subs were barely being tickled. If I had close neighbors, especially in an apartment, being pissed off just doesn't describe it, they would kill me.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

As for music, like I said earlier, rap is easy, it just friggin goes boom. I want more out of a musical sub though.

Personally, I want to make a DIY pro audio subwoofer. Dying to build something with this:

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-definimax-4018lf-18-speaker-driver--290-579

Kick drums and bass guitars ought to come alive with such a thing. I'd love to take my Ultimax's out and put these guys in, then build new ported cabs for my Ultimax's. At that point I'd have two Klipsch 15's, two Ultimax's in a massive ported box, and two of these guys if I wanted to throw some devil horns up and bang my head.

I would think you'd need to take specific subwoofers into account as many "weaker" subs won't go near as low as the "stronger" sub. I like your diagrams though. :)

There are no free lunches.  You may loose some extension with weaker subs for a better room response.  Using one sub, the difference between peaks and dips can be as much as 30 db. in different parts of the room.  These peaks and dip are somewhat more normalized with each subwoofer added.  Four subs gives the max benefit.  These are general statements since there has been no decision by the OP on narrowing things down to just two subs.  He may not even get a sub at this time.  I like throwing things out there to keep the discussions going, lol. :emotion-14:

If money is tight, you can grab a couple of buckets and make these:

Edited by derrickdj1

"Probly about 1/3 of that is ht, and after doing some measurement , the whole space is actually closer to 700" 

Dave, I'm not confident at all that a 12" sub can handle a 900 square foot room.  That's 3x the size of my HT. 

Based on the new calculation, the OP's room is closer to 5600ft3 as opposed to 7200ft3.  And again, only about 1/3(around 1900ft3) is HT space.

IMO, adding an SVS PB13 Ultra in a near field location just might get him where he wants to be.  The SVS and his Klipsch sub together should handle the situation petty well.

Just saying.  Everyone is not shooting for foundation crumbling bass.

Bill

Edited by willland

• Moderators
IMO, adding an SVS PB13 Ultra in a near field location just might get him where he wants to be. Just saying. Everyone is not shooting for foundation crumbling bass.

I haven't heard the new Reference Subs but I would think that the PB13 Ultra would be a much better performer in his room than the 12" Reference sub.