Get low

Kelly McAloney

I have two of the new Klipsch 15's

I have a sw112 300 watt and it just doesn't do it for me, I can go bigger, maybe not orbit shifter or 4 18" subs, I have neighbours, it's more for music than movies, I like hsu and svs, I just don't know the first thing about diy, I get so caught up in options than have trouble deciding, but I do appreciate all the feed back just want something that really shakes

What kind of music? Rap is easy.
why do u assume rap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

why do u assume rap

It was a question to figure out if you want a tight punch or if a sloppy boom would suffice. But, now that you mention it, most people who are looking for subwoofers largely only for music and "really want it to shake" are in fact heavily invested into rap music.

You know, when I get out of high fidelity...that is, the acoustic realm...I am pretty useless.  My HT system would not hold up to the HT freaks as no one in my family really wants to be thrown out of their seat.  Just good, strong levels and enough well balanced bass punch.  Most studio produced rock and roll seems to be in the C1 range and my Klipschorns without a sub will plaster one to the wall if need be.  My big honkin' horn sub is mostly for grand piano, 32' pipes, and Kodo drums and the few other acoustic instruments that get into C0.  It is adjusted not to break windows and crack walls, but be balanced to the natural sounds I listen to most of the time, usually felt as much as heard and in a subtle way. 

Probably best I stay clear of this.  I've been using a Pinnacle sub in my HT area for 10 years and will likely replace it with the 449.00 Klipsch sub this Christmas.  I suspect it will be more than adequate for my needs in HT.  It seems the needs of the HT phile are pretty personal and not very easy to prescribe using normal high fidelity rules.  Man's gotta know his limitations!

Hope you find what floats your boat, Kelly.

Dave

I have a sw112 300 watt and it just doesn't do it for me, I can go bigger, maybe not orbit shifter or 4 18" subs, I have neighbours, it's more for music than movies, I like hsu and svs, I just don't know the first thing about diy, I get so caught up in options than have trouble deciding, but I do appreciate all the feed back just want something that really shakes

If you put a pc13 ultra right behind you like you had said it would fit. It won't mater how big your room is. You will have all the bass you will need. If you want a small footprint and won't go diy then a pc13 ultra will be a great sub. 

Here is one for 1499   PC13-Ultra - Outlet - 1042  /  $1,499.99   . Full warantee right to your door. 

Well I actually really like Klipsch and would like to stay with them so I will try a sw115 and see how it goes, their hard to come by in Canada, u can't just go to a store, I'm in the states a lot, what retail chain carries them?? And Fromm time to time I do listen to rap, I'd say electronic would be my #1, when I started this thread I thought I had 2000 but my wife really wants a fence that is going to cost me 4000 give or take so as of now goes it will probly be spring by the time I pay for that so I guess it's on hold but I definitely have a good idea where I'm going from here, nobody in my house likes getting knocked out of there seat but I like listening loud and it's not bad to have a little extra to sho off, I entertain quite a bit so, I like to let it all hang out sometime, anyway I do appreciate the input, I didn't really take a look at the sw115 before but it actually got a pretty good review from audioholics so like I say I can get one of those when I got the cash and later on add another if I think I need it

• Like 1

As for music, like I said earlier, rap is easy, it just friggin goes boom. I want more out of a musical sub though.

Personally, I want to make a DIY pro audio subwoofer. Dying to build something with this:

http://www.parts-express.com/eminence-definimax-4018lf-18-speaker-driver--290-579

Kick drums and bass guitars ought to come alive with such a thing. I'd love to take my Ultimax's out and put these guys in, then build new ported cabs for my Ultimax's. At that point I'd have two Klipsch 15's, two Ultimax's in a massive ported box, and two of these guys if I wanted to throw some devil horns up and bang my head.

pro 18's can be output monsters with tight clean bass! you aren't going to get single digits but who cares. that kpt-884 i had was awesome!! id love to hear the 1802 someday but probably won't happen. 

Where is the woofer

Its on the bottom. 

It fires downward as the bottom pedestal has legs holding the cylinder off the floor.  The ports are on the top.  A cylinder sub is inherently strong and needs no bracing like a box would.