Get low

Kelly McAloney

pro 18's can be output monsters with tight clean bass! you aren't going to get single digits but who cares. that kpt-884 i had was awesome!! id love to hear the 1802 someday but probably won't happen.

You're one of the few people on this planet that I know of who knows what a nice pro audio 18 sounds like. For music they're pretty killer, I like the punch and detail that they have on drums and bass guitar.

I will try a sw115 and see how it goes

I would say you are going in a very good direction with this choice. Its a very good step up from where you were/are and if you feel you want more try a second sw115...in my opinion that would do for any above average home audio/theater enthusiast or audiophile/theaterphiles as well...

The horn sub technology can take time to get up off the ground. Horn subs are premium in accuracy and sound quality although the sw115 is an easy plug and play sub that does very well. Cheers

• Like 2

How do the RW-12D compare? there is two FS locally that I have been watching.

For the right size room(2000ft3), twin RW-12d's would suffice in most HT systems.  For music, IMO seek elsewhere.

I would not pay more than $500.00 for the pair.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

You're one of the few people on this planet that I know of who knows what a nice pro audio 18 sounds like. For music they're pretty killer, I like the punch and detail that they have on drums and bass guitar.

For as clean as horn subs play, there's nothing like a DR to punch you in the chest.

• Like 1

Do horns not give that sensation?

Not to the extent that a DR does, at least in my experience.  I built a couple ported cabs with Peavey Black Widow 18's for my patio system.  At the same volume, they had more slam than the dual driver horn sub I currently have.  I've read others have experienced the same thing.  A horn loaded PA bass cab type speaker might give it to you but I've never built one.  In the horn sub's defense, it's cleaner and goes lower than the DR's I had.

At the same volume, they had more slam than the dual driver horn sub I currently have.

For natural music oriented people, "slam" isn't an issue as about all I can think of that gets into the C0 octave is Kodo drum and a few of the big timber drums of Asia.  I suppose there may be synthetic stuff with that characteristic in movies and some studio created electric music. 

My gut tells me Carl is correct.  Makes sense that raw power and major excursions would create this "slam" thing, but I do a lot more music and a lot less 105mm cannon fire so I'll go with clean and deep.

Dave

Sheesh.  Not that far to Maine.   If you know somebody over there, have them receive it and go get it.  Or have it sent to a motel and spend the night. 

Shouldn't be that hard given the amount of money you'd save.

I get a few drugs from Canada.  Some are a tenth the price of the US equivalent.  Getting screwed goes both ways...

Dave