Get low

Kelly McAloney

$2,000 is plenty of money to get what you need.  Getting what you want depends on you.  :)

We have been talking about a forum just for Klipsch audio purchasing addiction. Many of us have that illness, and we think we soon may be able to collect partial disability for it. I'm sure Obamacare will recognize it as an illness. 

Just remember, the chase is the fun part.   ;)

• Like 1

This multiple subs thing comes up constantly.  I won't debate the room issue as I've never run across it personally.  I can state unequivocally however that if your main speakers are full range, that is, starting at C1, then a single subwoofer will cover C0 to C1 with no issues of directionality. 

Dave

C0 is 16.352 to 32.703 Hz.  C1 is the next one up.  PWK designed the Klipschorn to cover the "normal" range which starts at C1.  C0 (and the even lower octave C-1 which starts at 8.176 Hz) are found only on pipe organ 64 and 32 foot stops, and a few giant drums and such...or artificial sources like move sound tracks.  The "Sensaround" system for Earthquake and the like from way back were at 12Hz. 

These frequencies are not directional to human hearing and the lowest are not "heard" at all, but felt.

Dave

Edited by Mallette

My Cinema F-6 project came in at around 700.00 and is good to a solid 16.5 Hz.  Granted, it's big...but squeaky clean at all levels including rattle every window in the neighborhood level.

Table tuba would be even a bit cheaper, smaller, and still good into the nether regions.

Dave

• Like 1

i would take one good subwoofer over two or even three average ones any day of the week.

I'd take a single more powerful sub vs two mediocre ones.

SVS apparently disagrees, they are known to strongly recommend two PB-2000's over one SB13-Ultra. But hey, what do they know.

funny when i bought from them they recommended one pb-13 ultra over two of their lesser subs. so id say they are all typical salesman, and they have their own opinion. and id also take two PORTED 2000's over the SEALED 13 ultra. sure thats a no brainer. 

I accidentally typed SB last night.  I meant the PB13-Ultra.  

I don't think SVS is like Crutchfield where you get multiple sales people.  I'm pretty sure it's usually Ed.  The end recommendation that he gave me via email was in fact one PB-13.  However, when we started out I had just called in, I'm assuming it was still him but can't remember, it was a soft spoken guy that sounded older and didn't talk very fast.  I was asking about two PB13-Ultra's but then balked at the price.  4 grand or so for two 13's seemed a bit silly.  He thought that was overkill for my room anyway regardless of the price.  I was going to drop one sub.  At that point the dual PB -2000's was highly recommended instead, mentioning several reasons, but I wanted a nicer/bigger sub that I could expand on later so it was switched.  Maybe we totally misunderstood each other but the impression I got was that they always recommend two subs over one, even if you have to drop down to the PB-2000's for budget reasons, unless you have a receiver that does not have Audessey XT32 with SubEQ, and if that's the case then go with one nicer one.  I've seen other guys on forums get this same impression as well.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters