Surround Backs - what to use

kmx

RB-52's would likely be the better bet, you could also probably get away with RS-41's but the bookshelf speakers tend to perform better.  I'm using RS-3's in my setup and they work nicely.

Generally, you only need the bipole surrounds for the sides.  The rears tend to perform better as front firing speakers.

Edited by IbizaFlame

The general recommendation is for a direct radiating speaker. I would skip the RB-51. They are rear ported and have no where near the same sound as the rs-52. I would get the RB-61ii for surround backs. Front ported so can be mounted flush if you wanted. And will be able to match the output of the rs-52. Call around for the best pricing. Should be able to grab those for 400$ brand new.

As already mentioned, direct firing is the official recommendation, and they're supposed to be pretty close together, not at least 4' apart as mentioned in a different thread. However... I'm just not convinced that it matters a whole hell of a lot. I can only name two movies I've seen that have any sort of noticeable 7.1 / rear surround material, and only one that was very strong where I knew that's exactly where it was coming from. That was Edge of Tomorrow. Most other movies are either only mixed for 5.1 or only has very weak 7.1 rear material for ambience. I'm running RS-62ii's for my rears and I just can't believe that direct firing speakers closer together in this position would really gain me a whole hell of a lot. But, yeah, that's the official recommendation. Personally I just like the look of the RS series, I think the RB's just bolted onto a wall look pretty funny. If you could run them on a stand or actually on a shelf then yeah but bolted onto a wall just doesn't do it for me. Due to a curved seating arrangement I wanted mine elevated, which meant bolted onto a wall, and wanted the rears to match, so I chose the RS. YMMV.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

and they're supposed to be pretty close together
 this is how thx recommends them in their setup

dolby recommends a certain degree angle:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/surround-sound-speaker-setup/7-1-setup.html

not at least 4' apart as mentioned in a different thread
from an old onkyo i had the thx recommendation as per the setup was less than 4 feet so i always went off of dolby as they needed to be at least 4 feet apart. what is wrong with that recommendation?  

Thanks everyone, 

i thought the RB would be the way to go but i too dont really think they would look as nice as having a set of RS on the wall, but i was wondering if the design of the speaker would make an odd surround back channel as its angled.

My current setup is a Pioneer LX87, Klipsch RF35 mains, RC62II centre and RS52 rears and a SVS SB13 Ultra sub. 

Thanks for feedback on 7.1 I was wondering if you can actually hear a difference to warrant spending that much cash on a 2nd set of surround channels. Maybe i should save a little more and get a 2nd SB13 Ultra.

Well I don't run my avr in any sort of thx mode so i see no need to conform to their standard.

And op I agree that I'd add a second sub or maybe move to rf-82ii for mains so timbre is perfect across the front before I went 7.1. I have 7.1 in my basement and 5.1 in my living room and I don't miss the surround backs at all.

Actually i would do the rf-82ii's before a second sub. That would be my path.

THX setup.  I guess people are supposed to have two sets of brackets and move their speakers around depending on the movie!  LOL.

7-1-speaker-setup-400x300.jpg

Yeah I was about to post this, that's today's standard as far as I am aware. Here's what I don't get though... if you use Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio, your 7.1/rears are supposed to be spread out.  Of course, when exactly was the last time that you popped in a 7.1 channel lossless audio disc?  I don't even know where to get one and if you go with a Marantz setup I think you have to get their $1,200 disc player to even play it.  

dolby-truehd-dts-hd-speaker-setup-400x30

I've been thinking that second recommendation is for music for some reason, but apparently a ton of good movies use DTS-HD Master Audio.  So why is their primary recommendation to put them close together but if using DTS-HD MA, spread 'em out?  Makes no sense.  

As already mentioned, direct firing is the official recommendation, and they're supposed to be pretty close together, not at least 4' apart as mentioned in a different thread. However... I'm just not convinced that it matters a whole hell of a lot. I can only name two movies I've seen that have any sort of noticeable 7.1 / rear surround material, and only one that was very strong where I knew that's exactly where it was coming from. That was Edge of Tomorrow. Most other movies are either only mixed for 5.1 or only has very weak 7.1 rear material for ambience. I'm running RS-62ii's for my rears and I just can't believe that direct firing speakers closer together in this position would really gain me a whole hell of a lot. But, yeah, that's the official recommendation. Personally I just like the look of the RS series, I think the RB's just bolted onto a wall look pretty funny. If you could run them on a stand or actually on a shelf then yeah but bolted onto a wall just doesn't do it for me. Due to a curved seating arrangement I wanted mine elevated, which meant bolted onto a wall, and wanted the rears to match, so I chose the RS. YMMV.

Only two! Wow that has just not been the case in my experience. Lots of great rear speaker content movies.

With that said I can totally see how if not set up right the rears can be lost and a waste for someone. Every room is different so set up will be room dependent.

Don't break the bank but also don't waste your time if your going to half *** it. Like anything in this hobby you get out of it what you put into it. If you just stuff something back their like it doesn't really matter. You probably won't be that happy with the results.

The rears also work really well in 5.1movies. Depending on the avr. You might need to matrix them in with Dolby pro. Or some avrs like mine run the rears in 5.1 even in direct mode.

Edited by Pro-Cinema_Head

Only two! Wow that has just not been the case in my experience. Lots of great rear speaker content movies.

With that said I can totally see how if not set up right the rears can be lost and a waste for someone. Every room is different so set up will be room dependent.

Don't break the bank but also don't waste your time if your going to half *** it.

I should also disclose that I've had my system in place for a whopping 2 1/2 weeks. They didn't get on the wall until October 20. Haven't exactly had time to go rent a bunch of blu-rays in that time. All of Netflix is all 5.1, both Metallica and STP's concerts are 5.1, most kids movies are 5.1... installing it differently ain't going to help with that. :)