Office Size Speakers To Go With Vintage Tube Gear

jcmusic

The KG x.x are have been the great value of the Klipsch lines for a long time. I haven't heard 1.5's, but I've owned 2.2's and 2.5's. 

I have 3 pairs of Realistic Minimus 7w's I bought for my wife's little tea shoppe. I might drag a pair in and see how they do. They are readily available, and they are pretty cheap.

I really like the Minimus7's.  They were readily available at Radio Shack for years and they must have sold millions of them.  For what they are (a "mini" speaker like the a/d/s), with a sub woofer the sound is surprisingly pleasant.  It is unfortunate they carry with them the image of Radio Shack :(  because this is one product I think they did well on.  dwillie.   

Thanks for all the replys guys, i am thinking bookshelf size speakers. I heard the Minimus 7's years ago and thought they sounded pretty good, I would like to stay with horns and sensitivity. The 299 has around 20wpc prolly less don't want to buy a sub unless I have to. 

I use a little pair of Optimus Pro 7AV speakers for PC media. 10 dollar Value Village specials...there is even crossover mods (zilch of AK fame) for these RS two-way speakers. I like them...

They promptly roll-off at around 100 hertz I would guess.

But years ago a audio friend gave myself a DBX db-SW2X6 subwoofer box. I used it for a PC stand for most of that time, until I found a DBX XB 150 subwoofer amplifier at Goodwill for 7 bucks.

The subwoofer amplifier is only speaker level input, kind of a bummer I suppose, but not really. I have the subwoofer amplifier and Optimus speakers connected to a 30 dollar Value Village MCS 3840 integrated amplifier.

PC not included, the little media system is under 50 bucks. The subwoofer is passively crossed at 200 hertz. Though I would prefer 100Hz, the sub amp has a volume pot for blending in the low frequencies.

Sounds good to my cheap ears, and you can really thrash on it...

Dunno how the Optimus Pro 7AV speakers would sound with a tube amplifier, I never tried it. I do have a Scott LK-48B integrated.

• 1 month later...

I use Heresy III in my main office, powered by a McIntosh 250 power amp coupled with a MX 110 Z chassis tuner preamp. I have a ReVox CD player coupled with a Technics SP-10 Mk II in custom plinth using a SME 3012 with an Ortofon SPU with Ortofon SUT. Company supplied perk as I am a broadcast engineer. 

• Like 1

I strongly second Thaddeus on the KEF LS50's. These are amazing! Im not sure if 20 watts will do it or not but I suspect in a smaller room they'd be fine. If you haven't heard these do your self a favor.

When I was previewing tube amps for the sound, they had these hooked up to a Carver 20wpc tube and I was in a 20x30 room and they were still very loud at half volume on the amp,so I would assume they should be fine in an office area.

I've seen them for as low as $850.00-ish online. I was surprised by their sound also.I think this is their anniversary year for these also.

• Like 1