acoustically transparent screens

Paducah Home Theater

buy a third rf-7ii, run em all full range like you like

Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever ran an RF-7ii as a center? :)

I know what to do when building a house from scratch, at least NOW I do, but I don't know how to retrofit an AT screen when carpet is already down and trim is already installed. I'm not sure about the depth either, some of these screen manufacturers say put the speakers 12" back from the fabric, then add 12-16" for the speaker itself, assuming it is front ported or you're plugging a rear port off. You're losing 2-3' in the room if you do this. Considering I'm going short ways right now which is 15', that's a lot. Could switch the room around but then I have a door to deal with. Would be nice to go back and rebuild my house with certain things in mind but at this point that would be hard.

Do speakers really need that much clearance behind the screen? I can understand subs but for speech I can't see why this much is needed.

As for the RF-7ii's, I think they look badass so I'd have a hard time covering the left and right's up but hiding a center would be nice.

Mine are within a couple of inches of touching the screen... Sounds great too.

I have an AT screen to hide just one speaker and it's worth it to me just to have it at eye level instead of pushing an opaque screen up next to the ceiling.  It drops about 6 inches in front of the speaker, but I did that for another reason and not to clear the speaker by that much.

Mine is an electric elunevision audioweave: http://www.elunevision.com/audioweave-tab-tensioned.html

Edited by psg
  • Like 1

I have an AT screen to hide just one speaker and it's worth it to me just to have it at eye level instead of pushing an opaque screen up next to the ceiling.  It drops about 6 inches in front of the speaker, but I did that for another reason and not to clear the speaker by that much.

Mine is an electric elunevision audioweave: http://www.elunevision.com/audioweave-tab-tensioned.html

this looks like what i need to do when i move next year. psg i'm going to PM you

• Like 1

This makes a ton more sense to me. I don't want to hide my RF-7ii's but would like the center to be behind the screen plus don't want to go through the construction phase all over again. Seems like the perfect solution. Plus that would hide where my electrician screwed up and put a big ugly hardwired smoke detector in. :)

Thought they were $1,100-$1,500 but looks like a little more than that.

http://www.amazon.com/EluneVision-Reference-AudioWeave-Tab-Tensioned-Motorized/dp/B00CJI86QQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1415921117&sr=1-1&keywords=EluneVision+Reference+audioweave

"The only screen on the market that will preserve the mid-range and high-range frequencies"

interesting.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

We simply love our Seymour AT screen. 

• It has incredible resolution
  • The fabric never shows (at about 12 feet away ... it is 130" true image width, not diagonal)
  • It's quite bright (we project with all lights off)
  • It has an Aspect Ratio of 2.35:1, which is immersive (engulfing!), yet 1.85 looks good, as does 2.2 (Todd-AO, and other such processes), 2.39 (newer Panavision), and even 2.76 (Ultra Panavision 70 and Camera 65)
  • There is no normally noticeable sound degradation.  Our center is behind the screen (modified Belle Klipsch).  Because of this, we were able to place the screen at the perfect height.  One of the members of the forum (Hendrick? Hendricks?) asked a Klipsch tech to measure how much comparative high frequency transmission loss there was with the Seymour, and, as I remember, there was a 1.5 dB loss only at the very top of the frequency range.  We use Audyssey room and speaker EQ, and ran the calibration with the screen down (in front of the center), and Audyssey compensated for the loss very well indeed.  We select either Audyssey Flat or Audyssey Reference, whichever sounds best with the film we are running, choosing before guests arrive.    
  • Like 1

The worst part of the AT screen and the whole projector/screen in general. Is the work to make it nice. Its such a big job that its really easy to talk yourself out of it.

Seems like retrofitting would be even worse, that's why I thought the EluneVision motorized would be nice. Just mount the center and pull this thing down in front of it. Done. Trim out the ends with big RF-7ii's.

Mine is an electric elunevision audioweave: http://www.elunevisi...-tensioned.html

That screen is identical to the one I got from Visual Apex. Mine is not an AT screen but I'm guessing they come from the same manufacturer. Exact same housing, tensioning system, remote trigger and remote.

Thanks for posting, some good information on their website

The worst part of the AT screen and the whole projector/screen in general. Is the work to make it nice. Its such a big job that its really easy to talk yourself out of it.

Seems like retrofitting would be even worse, that's why I thought the EluneVision motorized would be nice. Just mount the center and pull this thing down in front of it. Done. Trim out the ends with big RF-7ii's.

Our Seymour is motorized.  We didn't bother with curtains, masks, or special lights, etc.  It is mounted on the ceiling in a music room / library, which becomes a home theater at the push of a button.  We do have black-out shades on the windows. The screen descends grandly and just fits between our two Klipschorns.  We've thought of playing Thus Spake Zarathustra as this happens.  The Belle Klipsch center is raised so the tweeter is the same height as those of the Khorns, and the Belle is buried in the wall (there is a bump-out behind it, to make room); the screen comes down in front of it, about a foot from the wall.  The flush mounting of the Belle was expected to increase the bass a bit, and it does, producing a -3dB point below 40 Hz.  For movies, that doesn't make a difference because of crossing over to the sub.

It takes three strong individuals to mount the screen on the ceiling.

Our Seymour is motorized.  We didn't bother with curtains, masks, or special lights, etc.  It is mounted on the ceiling in a music room / library, which becomes a home theater at the push of a button.  We do have black-out shades on the windows. The screen descends grandly and just fits between our two Klipschorns.  We've thought of playing Thus Spake Zarathustra as this happens.  The Belle Klipsch center is raised so the tweeter is the same height as those of the Khorns, and the Belle is buried in the wall (there is a bump-out behind it, to make room); the screen comes down in front of it, about a foot from the wall.  The flush mounting of the Belle was expected to increase the bass a bit, and it does, producing a -3dB point below 40 Hz.  For movies, that doesn't make a difference because of crossing over to the sub.

It takes three strong individuals to mount the screen on the ceiling.

My elunevision is also motorized.

It also descends grandly and just fits between two Klipschorns.

My La Scala center is also buried in the wall (there is a bump-out behind it, to make room).

The screen comes down in front of it, about 6 inches from the wall.

It takes me two individuals to mount the screen on the ceiling.  Mine is slightly inset into the ceiling; photo:

gallery_13595_23_15090.jpg

Edited by psg

I'm hoping to experience mine in a few months.  For now, it's tucked away in it's tube behind my door. 

MichaelandKlipsch just purchased his (not sure if it's installed yet). 

Wakejunkie also has a DIY made from spandex. 

Maybe they will chime in.

My screen arrives tomorrow morning i will post pictures tomorrow and give impressions of the audio tomorrow 

• Like 1

Happened again today, had a guy who is pretty high up in the food chain kind of try to steer me away from AT screens, basically said that the whole idea isn't going away, but you WILL lose screen resolution, to the point that on a 4K device it's kind of a big no-no.  Said you can mostly get away with it on 1080p but 4K needs a completely flat, solid, and perfectly smooth screen, not a weave or something with holes punched in it.  Once again, he was much more worried about the video quality than audio.  That makes the third guy now with the same story even though they dealt with three different screen companies, and at this point it is going well beyond local installers and dealers. 

• Like 1

Happened again today, had a guy who is pretty high up in the food chain kind of try to steer me away from AT screens, basically said that the whole idea isn't going away, but you WILL lose screen resolution, to the point that on a 4K device it's kind of a big no-no.  Said you can mostly get away with it on 1080p but 4K needs a completely flat, solid, and perfectly smooth screen, not a weave or something with holes punched in it.  Once again, he was much more worried about the video quality than audio.  That makes the third guy now with the same story even though they dealt with three different screen companies, and at this point it is going well beyond local installers and dealers. 

Ask him if he has tried an A-B test with a Seymour and his favorite non-AT screen and run resolution tests (even a subjective comparison) with the brightness equalized.  A big enough Semour should be just as high in resolution as a smooth screen, relative to the native resolution of the projected image (4K or not).  Naturally, if you have a very small screen, a fabric weave or any other texture will take up a larger percentage of the image than on a very large screen. 

Edited by Garyrc