acoustically transparent screens

Paducah Home Theater

• Moderators

Here are two reviews by Sound and Vision Magazine and Home Theater HiFi.

Both seem to say that there will be some light that is lost from an AT screen.  They also seem to agree that there is some slight reduction in volume (3db) which they state is easily fixed by increasing the gain in your receiver for the speakers that are behind the screen by 3db.

For my situation, the benefits of the AT screen far outweigh the imperfections of it. 

Pros:

Allows me to upgrade to a MUCH bigger screen (103" to a 150")

I am now able to have three identical speakers up front

I will have all three speakers directly behind the screen to perfectly anchor the sound where it is coming from

I will be able to have all three tweeters at the same height

Cons:

Slight loss in brightness (I'm upgrading my projector from a 1700 lumen to a 2400 lumen)

Slight reduction in loudness (easily fixed by increasing trim on LCR in my receiver)

For my setup, the AT Screen makes perfect sense.  The pros far outweigh the cons. 

Let's say the guys at the A/V store are correct and I went with one of their non-AT screens.  I might gain a slightly better picture but I would end up with a MUCH smaller screen, have to mount a standard style center channel (which is a compromise) above the screen at about 8ft off the ground (which isn't ideal at all) and my LaScalas would have to be placed in front of my false wall (which takes up space and prevents me from using my remote due to the speaker blocking the IR signal).

Is an AT screen for everyone.....no way.  Is it the best fit for some people (like me)?  I say ABSOLUTELY!

• Like 1

Whats their names and the shop names? Im going call them and hear this for my self please. 

Yeah, for some odd reason I'd just really rather not publicly drop names for this purpose, sorry.   :)

I will say that the first guy was older and seemed to be a sole proprietor, and I really can't see him custom building stuff.  Bolting a standard screen up against the wall and being done seems like more his style.  

Second guy seemed to be the owner of the largest and nicest AV store I could ever imagine.  To say he can't sell or install AT screens would be silly yet he said the only time to use them is when you have to.  If anything was surprising it's what this guy said.  He can get and sell anything he wants, and he stocks Elite Screens.  This isn't a small time guy that can't get decent AT screens so he pushes something else.  

Third guy was a distributor rep for projectors and a large company that makes AT screens, so, he's definitely got no reason to do anything but sell them hard and say they're awesome.  That never happened.  He didn't really say never get them when specifically asked, but similar to the AV store guy, he said you typically only use them in specific applications because there are significant trade-offs, mainly in terms of video quality, audio too, although he said most people probably won't notice, but acted like they would with video, especially on 4K.  

So, anyway, there it is.  I just thought most people were moving towards AT screens and considering them the wave of the future so I was surprised to hear three business insiders, two of which are significant players, basically say eh, not so much, standard screens are usually significantly better.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

if you had rf-7ii behind the screen then easy, take off the grills put em behind screen. Now they sound the same as not behind the screen with the grill on.

I'm probably going to copy PSG and go with EluneVision, then just put my center behind it.  I still have those three THX's too, maybe cram those back there just for giggles.  By the time I clear 16" deep RF-7ii's plus allow space for the rear port, I'll probably be more into my room than I would like.  Plus RF-7ii's just look cool sitting there.  But, they'll be stretched out awful far.  

• Like 1

I say if it is good enough for the movie theaters it's good enough for me I can't see the weave on mine at 12.6 feet away

The AT screens you buy that are a weave are not the same as what the Movie Theaters use... Movie Theaters use a perforated screen (last I knew), and the weave will look much better.

• Moderators
Movie Theaters use a perforated screen (last I knew), and the weave will look much better.

Movie Theaters can get away with using the perforated screen because you will never see the holes from any of their seating distances.  I haven't taken my fabric out of the tube to see how close you have to get to see the weave but I'm guessing at 9', it will not be an issue at all.

• Moderators

I figure a lot of the older theaters that don't upgrade often probably have the same screens they had when they opened.  Figure they would be perforated.  Some of the newer theaters might be moving to the weave fabric.  Just a guess though.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the Seymour site says .8db with the screen which no one would ever notice.

EluneVision is claiming less than 0.35 db on average, which is pretty flat across all frequencies, and only 1.8% of the surface is empty space. I can't imagine that perforated vinyl can do the same.

http://www.elunevision.com/audioweave-tensioned-features.html#transparency

I figure a lot of the older theaters that don't upgrade often probably have the same screens they had when they opened.  Figure they would be perforated.  Some of the newer theaters might be moving to the weave fabric.  Just a guess though.

Not sure, if newer theaters would have a weave or not.With a Commercial theater i am not sure they would need a weave as they have light cannons, and no one is close enough to see the perforations.

Seymour says .5db which I have attested to and the room correction software Took care of it there is literally no audible difference from my ears once the calibration finished at sweep and Michael I have 12 feet from my eyes to the screen and it's not until around 7 feet that you can see the weave with glasses on and the projector on

Let me correct myself there is an audible difference which is clear but not after the room correction has made its adjustments in trim level. Let's just say that after this project of yours Michael you will be much happier then before I know that I wish I had taken some of the forum members advice a couple years ago and did this from the start it is such a nice clean look that you will appreciate and you're beautiful theater

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

Whats their names and the shop names? Im going call them and hear this for my self please. 

Yeah, for some odd reason I'd just really rather not publicly drop names for this purpose, sorry.   :)

I will say that the first guy was older and seemed to be a sole proprietor, and I really can't see him custom building stuff.  Bolting a standard screen up against the wall and being done seems like more his style.  

Second guy seemed to be the owner of the largest and nicest AV store I could ever imagine.  To say he can't sell or install AT screens would be silly yet he said the only time to use them is when you have to.  If anything was surprising it's what this guy said.  He can get and sell anything he wants, and he stocks Elite Screens.  This isn't a small time guy that can't get decent AT screens so he pushes something else.  

Third guy was a distributor rep for projectors and a large company that makes AT screens, so, he's definitely got no reason to do anything but sell them hard and say they're awesome.  That never happened.  He didn't really say never get them when specifically asked, but similar to the AV store guy, he said you typically only use them in specific applications because there are significant trade-offs, mainly in terms of video quality, audio too, although he said most people probably won't notice, but acted like they would with video, especially on 4K.  

So, anyway, there it is.  I just thought most people were moving towards AT screens and considering them the wave of the future so I was surprised to hear three business insiders, two of which are significant players, basically say eh, not so much, standard screens are usually significantly better.  

We need names and places or it didn't happen. When you make claims you need to be ready to back those claims up with real info. Like personal experience, or names of people, or of web sites you got the info from. Just saying you heard from a guy has vary little credit. Its hard to have a debate with a  mystery person. 

Seymour says .5db which I have attested to and the room correction software Took care of it there is literally no audible difference from my ears once the calibration finished at sweep and Michael I have 12 feet from my eyes to the screen and it's not until around 7 feet that you can see the weave with glasses on and the projector on

Its less than one if I lower my screen over the speaker with it playing test tone or music. So .5 is probably about right. 

• Like 1

We need names and places or it didn't happen. When you make claims you need to be ready to back those claims up with real info. Like personal experience, or names of people, or of web sites you got the info from. Just saying you heard from a guy has vary little credit. Its hard to have a debate with a  mystery person.

All I will say is that the super nice place I mentioned was Hi Fi Buys in NashVegas if you must know. The other older guy definitely doesn't need any phone harassment. And, surely to goodness you don't actually believe that I'm going to give you the personal contact information of a wholesale distributor so you can call him up and have a phone debate over something you heard in a forum. Really? I mean, that's literally what you seem to be wanting, the whole idea is childish to be honest. Not to be rude but I just really don't care enough as to whether you take it seriously or not to do that. If you don't believe me then just ignore this thread. There's way more information on just how much other AT screens come up short just on EluneVision's site alone.

I mean no disrespect but its like the boy who cried wolf. Over the last month or two you have posted some really far out there things. Have given advise on things you admitted after being called out to having almost no experience with. And some of the posts are plain old bs. Im just trying to make out what one this is  :rolleyes:

• Like 1