acoustically transparent screens

Paducah Home Theater

I guess the main question is do I squeeze some RF-7ii's and RC-64ii behind a motorized screen, or back up and punt with some thinner THX or cinema style speakers. I set everything up as if I had a 120" 2.35:1 screen last night and my RF-7ii's are just spread out too far at my viewing distance. Thought I could put those on the outside and only hide the center but I just can't see doing that now.

I ran those 3 behind a my screen and they sounded fantastic. I upgraded only because I'm junky for speakers :).

The kpt325s are pretty thin and would be even better. Total cost would be around $3,300 for 3 kpt325s. And a 325 vs the 64 will put your jaw on the ground. 

Edited by Pro-Cinema_Head

Just got my jvc projector up and going. Goodness is all I can say. Just shining the thing on a black wall for now and it already runs all over anything ive seen before.

shining it on a black wall and it looks better than anything you've ever seen? I feel sorry for you almost.

shining it on a black wall and it looks better than anything you've ever seen? I feel sorry for you almost.

I was mainly talking about the black levels, which is mostly due to the room and actually overexaggerated due to the black paint. Vivid colors are kind of lacking to say the least but it is surprisingly viewable. Yeah bright white is dingy at best, flesh tones are reddish, and colors aren't that vivid, but at least blacks are killer, which is what I was looking for. :)  A screen will fix the rest.  Most setups I've seen in person have uncontrolled ambient light so everything has been washed out. I don't think that's going to be an issue with this setup.  

Also, and I don't know what you call it, but cheaper projectors tend to have dancing pixels or something when you get close. from 10' away you can't see it but get close and there's all this small amount of fuzz going on as if there's noise in the circuits or something.  The Sony vpl-hw55es was pretty bad about that.  This doesn't do that at all, it's rock solid even at point blank distances.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Wondering who here likes them and who doesn't. :) I went to an extremely high end place that had like 6 showrooms with $7,000 Lexicon amps, $10,000 Revel and Wilson subwoofers, $22,000 a pair Revel towers, $26,0000 Sony projectors, every Klipsch speaker imaginable, every McIntosh component you can think of, had hundreds of thousands of dollars of this crap laying around everywhere, been in business for 40 years, etc., etc., etc... and the top guy there is basically saying to stay away from them unless they're absolutely necessary. This wasn't the first time this has happened either, same story in a different city. But, they have quite the fan base elsewhere. Thoughts? :)

I am not going to bad-mouth the "orthodox audiophiles." I actually have respect for their tenacity at getting the perfection from their systems that they strive for. However, I can't hear the difference in many things some of these audiophiles are funny about, like super expensive speaker wires, for example.

Take a small piece of this screen and have your wife place it in front of the tweeter of one of your mains while listening to Vanden Plas or one of your favorite pieces of music and see if you can hear a difference. Let her do it while you have your eyes closed. If you hear the difference tell her. She can determine if you heard it when she put it over it, or just when your mind thought it did.

Bryant

Supposed to have a 110" 2.35 AT screen by the end of the week.  I could fit 120 but felt it was uncomfortable to watch, would look unnatural trying to squeeze it in on my wall, and it is making my towers be spread out too far.  Eventually I am going to try to put a center only behind the screen, otherwise I won't be using the transparent functionality for now, just don't want to have to upgrade later if I go that route.  

• Moderators

We simply love our Seymour AT screen. 

• It has incredible resolution
  • The fabric never shows (at about 12 feet away ... it is 130" true image width, not diagonal)
  • It's quite bright (we project with all lights off)
  • It has an Aspect Ratio of 2.35:1, which is immersive (engulfing!), yet 1.85 looks good, as does 2.2 (Todd-AO, and other such processes), 2.39 (newer Panavision), and even 2.76 (Ultra Panavision 70 and Camera 65)
  • There is no normally noticeable sound degradation.  Our center is behind the screen (modified Belle Klipsch).  Because of this, we were able to place the screen at the perfect height.  One of the members of the forum (Hendrick? Hendricks?) asked a Klipsch tech to measure how much comparative high frequency transmission loss there was with the Seymour, and, as I remember, there was a 1.5 dB loss only at the very top of the frequency range.  We use Audyssey room and speaker EQ, and ran the calibration with the screen down (in front of the center), and Audyssey compensated for the loss very well indeed.  We select either Audyssey Flat or Audyssey Reference, whichever sounds best with the film we are running, choosing before guests arrive.    

It was Bill Hendrix, but he didn't have a "Klipsch tech" measure it, it was was Roy Delgado in Hope, in the chamber.  Roy ran it to see what changes would be needed on the EQ for the center speaker and Roy said it was the best he every measured for any screen.

Here is Bill's original post on it, I will get you a link to the threads on it here in a second.

Edit:  Here is one of the threads he discussed the measurements in  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/107386-acoustically-transparent-screens/?hl=screen#entry1185150

Edit 2:  Here is the thread regarding his set up, photos, etc.  https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/95489-klipschorn-jubilee-and-pro-cinema-theater-pics/?hl=screen

Travis

Call Chris Seymour

http://www.seymourav.com/

I have an AT screen  in front of JubScala center and KPT-884 sub. Roy measured the screen and said it's one of the best he's seen.

Chris has about any configuration you like including DIY.

Edited by dwilawyer

• 3 years later...

I recommend you to use acoustic transparent fabric  which allows sound to pass through the textile and get absorbed by the underlying acoustic core material. it is the acoustic panel material (substrate) rather than fabric absorbing sound. The function of the noise reducing fabric is looking great and allows the sound to pass through the acoustic substrate.