acoustically transparent screens

Paducah Home Theater

i used to brag about my friends about how much money i had into my stuff. now I'm quite the opposite and brag about how little i have into it for what i have. and i have yet to be in a theater now that i think is any better than mine.

In the past with car audio I've gotten trophies and overheard private comments of judges saying mine was the best sounding car in the show even though my system was literally built with cables that were industrial waste, speakers I found in the trash, and Wal-Mart amps. So, I know how it is.

Nowadays though, I don't like experiments. I like to get the best while still maintaining some level of sane budget (aka. no I'm not spending 22 grand on Revel's) and be done with it. I don't have the money and sure don't have the time to screw around with stuff that doesn't work as expected. When I have multiple people who ought to know what's up tell me something doesn't work as expected, I get cold feet, even if it's a $500'ish screen like yours, even that is too much money to spend on an experiment. That's it in a nutshell. I just didn't realize that was worthy of bluff calling.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

The other thing is that I dont have a huge amount of room comparatively. My head is 10' from the wall now, maybe 11' if reclined. If I bring an at screen out to cover speakers I'm losing over a foot at the minimum. Thats starting to get pretty close, especially if any holes can potentially be seen. I may be able to switch viewing orientation to gain more distance, otherwise I'd have to scoot my seats back close to the rear wall which would screw up my surrounds.

• Like 1

The other thing is that I dont have a huge amount of room comparatively. My head is 10' from the wall now, maybe 11' if reclined. If I bring an at screen out to cover speakers I'm losing over a foot at the minimum. Thats starting to get pretty close, especially if any holes can potentially be seen. I may be able to switch viewing orientation to gain more distance, otherwise I'd have to scoot my seats back close to the rear wall which would screw up my surrounds.

Go to the SeymourAV site and request a sample piece of screen material... They will send it to you for free, and you can see for yourself. My front row is about 12/ and I cannot see any weave at all. I just walked up to 6' from my screen before I could see the weave on this webpage.

Immersive!  Yeah, we love it at that distance.  The second row is still okay at around 16 feet, I prefer sitting up front.

I prefer the 2nd row on our setup too... Front row is just a touch too close for me at 180" diagonal. Once we move the screen back another 2' I think the 2nd row will get even better with 195".

Immersive!  Yeah, we love it at that distance.  The second row is still okay at around 16 feet, I prefer sitting up front.

130" Seymour (true 2.35:1 width, not diagonal) is fine at 12 feet, and we have tried it a bit closer, and it is O.K. there, too.

Very occasionally (one movie in 100?) the camera bounced around too much during the filming, and it can make one a bit seasick. 

The weave is no problem.  Visually scanning an image that size is no problem if they don't shake the camera a lot.  Fast camera movement with smooth dollies or fast pans are no problem.  Neither are fast zooms.  It's just the shaking that can be a problem.

Back in the glory days of Todd-AO, audiences in commercial 70 mm theaters accepted an image size on their retinas about twice as wide as what we have (with an aspect ratio of 2.2:1 for Todd-AO,with seating somewhere between about 5 and 15 rows from the screen)

Edited by Garyrc

Reason I asked about the 120" at 10' is due to theoretical THX recommendations, you're supposed to take the distance in inches times 0.84 to get the recommended screen size, which at 10' is 100", and their recommendations are larger than they used to be, which is significantly larger than the SMPTE recommendations.  I've seen a 120" that close but didn't get to watch it for more than a minute or two, everything I've watched much on so far is 96-106" so I'm not sure how fatiguing it is that close.  I will likely get 100" on mine.  Wish I had built my house larger but good lord, we had already stretched the budget as much as we possibly could and I did as much stuff myself as I possibly could.  

http://www.cedia.org/blog/how-to-select-the-right-screen-size-for-your-room

• Like 1

Reason I asked about the 120" at 10' is due to theoretical THX recommendations, you're supposed to take the distance in inches times 0.84 to get the recommended screen size, which at 10' is 100", and their recommendations are larger than they used to be, which is significantly larger than the SMPTE recommendations.  I've seen a 120" that close but didn't get to watch it for more than a minute or two, everything I've watched much on so far is 96-106" so I'm not sure how fatiguing it is that close.  I will likely get 100" on mine.  Wish I had built my house larger but good lord, we had already stretched the budget as much as we possibly could and I did as much stuff myself as I possibly could.  

Note that my 120-icnch screen is 16x9... It's effectively a 113-inch screen when I watch 2.35:1 content.

Strangely, two of the last 3 Blurays I rented were 16x9!

• Like 1

If you are going AT screen... Why not go with the whole wall being AT, and then mask out what you don't want to have as a screen?

• Like 1

I guess my holdup on my personal setup is how the room is laid out. It was built with TV's in mind, so basically there's the TV wall then there's a door on each side, one going to the rest of the house and another to a bathroom, which should have been my AV closet, but whatever. Anyway, ideally it would have been long ways, the doors would have been back further, and the screen construction would have went from one side to the other. I can't do that though, I have no sides. I would have to build not only out, but also build sides. I could switch the layout in the room but I've still got a similar problem in that I have to build a side, which would be right next to the entry door, bad feng shui and stuff. So, I don't know what to do other than either get an EluneVision motorized which hangs from the ceiling and requires nothing to be built, or go with a traditional screen.

If anybody has seen pics of an AT screen build that does not go all the way across the room I'd like to see it.

Actually my layout is very similar to this. Either I need to cut in to the wall behind it somehow, which is odd since there is some plumbing that goes through it, move to in-wall speakers maybe, or I'll have to build it out, or I'll have to mount the stuff on wall shelves then drape a dangling screen in front of it.

dff3e054_vbattach108475.jpeg

• Like 1

AT screen on the short wall?

Yeah but you'd be walking in to the side of the enclosure when you open the door. Might be kind of weird I'm not sure. It would be like building out the yellow wall where the CD's are above then walking in to the room from the door on the red wall. Probably going to have to go with a fixed frame screen with in-wall speakers, or a motorized one and put something relatively shallow behind it. Three 88 Special SEOS behind a motorized one might be cool. Otherwise, KL-7800-THX's are only 3.7" deep, I could fit those behind a fixed frame.