KSF 10.5 vs KLF 20

Jim

I am interested in what everyone's opinions are on these speakers. I am looking to potentially do a setup with either one of these as mains and mixing them with KG 3.5'S as side surrounds and KG .5's as the other surrounds in a 9.2 setup and getting a matching center. I have never heard either of these and want to know the difference they would make against the KG 4 or 5 series, or if I should just finish off with the KG's. I am assuming there will be a wide range on them as they are larger. The KSF's are around $750.00 for the pair but need to be refinished and the KLF's are in excellent condition and $275.00 for the pair. Monetarily I would lean towards the KSF's but how much difference in quality is the sound going to be? I know it's going to be different personally, but are they warmer or brighter than KG's and would they be a good mix? 

I have an all KLF HT system and it is excellent (30's, 10's and C-7). The 20's are very similar to the 30's ... just smaller woofers, I believe. If you use a good sub, that should not matter. Not familiar with the others you mention, but others will chime in no doubt. The trick for me was to put together a powerful sonically matched system. Mixing and matching did not work well for me when I tried it in the past. Best of luck!

Did you have issues with the rear plates on them vibrating? I've read that was one of the issues with them, they needed to be re-glued.  

I have an RF-25 system in my living room and that sounds great, and I have KG 3.5's and you can hear the difference with the speakers when comparing them to the 25's.I'm not that into the KG's sound either. I have the ICON KF 28's and KS 14's which I'm not to keen on. So I'm trying to find a warmer sound to replace the 28's in my family room. I know the tweeters have a lot to do with it and the sub style, so I'm looking at different scenarios.

Edited by Jim

Did you have issues with the rear plates on them vibrating? I've read that was one of the issues with them, they needed to be re-glued.  

Jim, I have not had that problem with either the 30's or the 10's, but some others have. Check in with Morey James on the forum... he has had a lot of experience with the issue. Personally, my speakers are still rockin' hard and provide an amazingly good HT without any problems so far and I bought them new in 1997 or 1998. Chuck.

Just for your information

KLF series box is assembles with a very solid adhesive I have not seen any issues there. The Baffles both front and back are the problems. Reason is the baffles are laminated on both sides with black Melamine which is like a low tech version of teflon. Melamine has a very low surface tension which means that it is very slippery and that not much wants to stick to it. Klipsch had a custom hot melt adhesive made to bond the front and rear baffles into the box. This was fine and did the job but then they received a defective batch of hot melt adhesive and that is when the trouble started. So the point is that if you have one loose baffle the other probably is or will be soon as it is made with the same problematic adhesive. Further if you have one speaker with problem baffles then your other is also made with the same adhesive. So if you are going to repair one baffle repair them all and do it right . Remove all the baffles install braces and re install all the baffles properly end of problems this can be done in a weekend or less if you are handy and if you do it right will be stronger than they were new with the good adhesive. That's it hope this helps. Best regards Moray James.

I think you guys read the pricing different than I typed, the prices are $750.00 asking for the KLF's and the KSF's are for the lower price. My headline is for KSF's 1st and KLF's 2nd,but pricing was arranged differently, my mistake. The KLF's need to be redone and the KSF's look to be immaculate. I'm not running an amp at this point and the receiver I'm using is the Yamaha RX A2020 rated at 140 watts per channel. I'm running it 9.2 now with the ICON series but am not crazy about the sound. I'd like to get rid of them and get something different. With that being said, would either be an upgrade sound wise to lets say the KG's 4 or 5 series. I know wattage is different but sound wise how much of a difference would they be?

IMO, the KLF-20's would be an upgrade over the KG series simply because they are 3-way. But $750 for KLFs that need refinishing is too high. You can find KLF-20s in excellent condition for that price and KLF-30s in excellent condition for not much more.

I would also pass on KSF-10.5s at that price, especially if you're not too fond of the Icon sound.

I would finish off your set-up with KG 5.2 or 5.5 for front mains. The KG 5.5 is one of the best bang-for-your-buck Klipsch speakers out there.

KSF 10.5s DO NOT sound like icons, the worst thing they have going is the no wood veneer!

I didn't say they sounded like ICONS, I'm not fond of the ICON's sound. They almost seem flat to me. I wanted to know how much of a difference the sound quality is to them.

I would finish off your set-up with KG 5.2 or 5.5 for front mains. The KG 5.5 is one of the best bang-for-your-buck Klipsch speakers out there.

So would you use the KG 3.5's as side surrounds, and lets say the .5's as heights and rear surrounds? There is a set I can purchase with 4x's .5's, the center channel,and the sub for $150.00 plus shipping. I wouldn't really need the sub, but might use it for the mix as a 3rd sub and maybe use it as the rear sub.My receiver does front/rear, mono, or stereo and if I did use it, would use a splitter on the front for 2 and then run the smaller one for rear sub.

KSF 10.5s DO NOT sound like icons, the worst thing they have going is the no wood veneer!

Sorry, the KSFs I heard sounded much like the later Synergy SF-3 and F-3. I've always heard that the Icons sound very similar to Synergy series. My apologies if I am way off base here.

I didn't say they sounded like ICONS, I'm not fond of the ICON's sound. They almost seem flat to me. I wanted to know how much of a difference the sound quality is to them.

So would you use the KG 3.5's as side surrounds, and lets say the .5's as heights and rear surrounds? There is a set I can purchase with 4x's .5's, the center channel,and the sub for $150.00 plus shipping. I wouldn't really need the sub, but might use it for the mix as a 3rd sub and maybe use it as the rear sub.My receiver does front/rear, mono, or stereo and if I did use it, would use a splitter on the front for 2 and then run the smaller one for rear sub.

I don't know what to tell you about the subs(I'm not much of a sub guy), but yes, the entire KG set-up you've described sounds perfect. I'm actually a big fan of the KG sound and highly recommend finding a nice pair of 5.2s or 5.5s to realize this set-up. And that $150 package sounds like a good enough deal to me. I like that little .5.

Good luck!

From what I was told by Klipsch directly, the Synergy series was/is a better speaker.They also said the KF's were more for movies than music and that the crossovers aren't as good as their other lines,even the Synergy. Of course this was AFTER I purchased them,lol. I have the Synergy C-20 Center in with the KF/KS series and was told also that the C-20 blows the ICON center away from the same person at Klipsch. Unfortunately I got caught up in buying the "big speakers with big wattage" without really understanding what I do now, which is basically nothing compared to everyone on here. ,Makes me want to go back to Best Buy and ream them a new a$$hole as they had no idea like I didn't when I had questions.My last speaker purchase was in 1997 when I purchased the KSB Series. Now I think I've turned into most on here, trying to keep upgrading to the top line of speakers,even if they are a few years old, hence the opinions I'm looking for on the attached thread.