WTB (desperately): Epic CF-4 woofer

djcaccavaro

I'm new here, so bear with me if I'm posting in the wrong place or the wrong way. I recently bought a pair of Epic CF-4s and after about two weeks of pure bliss (man, these are nice speakers), one of my woofers started rubbing. I'm desperately looking to buy a replacement (K-30-KN) woofer. 

Or, if anyone has found a place that can recone these speakers, please let me know.

Right now I'm just powering them with a little Topping TP21 T amp (which sounds amazingly good when fed by my AudioNote M-One preamp), while I save up for something really good. By rubbing, I mean that if I push on the cone gently, I hear a slight scraping sound -- a shhh-shhhh sound. When playing, the sound from that woofer is kind of gravely -- like Diana Krall has a touch of laryngitis from that woofer when she's perfectly healthy through the rest of them. 

Thanks for the tip, but no such luck. They are long gone. In the meantime, I gently pushed the cone in and out while shifting it slightly out of center and found a spot where it doesn't rub. I rotated the woofer in the cabinet so that part is at the bottom and it seems to be playing without rubbing for now (in other words, gravity seems to be holding the cone in a position where the voice coil doesn't rub). I'm not confident this is going to last very long, but hopefully it will hold long enough for me to find a replacement. 

So ... to anyone reading, I'm still very much in the market for a replacement!

BTW, i was speaking to moray james about different mods and upgrades which can be done to these speakers and I know for sure you can buy replacement/upgraded woofers for these speakers from a site like parts express. I am not talking about the same cf4 woofer. Try contacting and pm moray james for help. Hope i helped,

Alex

Not to go down the rabbit hole on this, but the CF4s always reminded me of the hawthorne Raven speakers. You can find out more here:

http://hawthorneaudio.us/

Perhaps their 12" drivers would be some sort of substitute? You'd have to do all 4 but who knows? When I heard the Ravens at Capitol Audio Fest, they were easily my favorite speakers there....

Edit - looking at the site, those are 15". guess they wouldn't work here....

Edited by gmjungbluth

Sent him a message. Thanks for the tips. Also -- for those keeping score, my trick of rotating the woofer turned out to be wishful thinking. It's still rubbing and sounds like crap. I may send it off to be re-coned. If anyone has a recommendation for a place to have this done, I'm all ears. Right now I'm looking at Simply Speakers. 

• 1 month later...

So ... I'm still on the hunt for a replacement woofer and have found someone who is selling a pair of them, but he says they are from Version 3 of the CF-4s. Does anyone know if these are different from the ones in Version 2? Also: Are the compression drivers from version 3's the same as Version 2's? He's selling a couple of those too and I'm thinking of buying them to keep as spares. Also: I'm assuming that mine are Version 2's because they have shorter ports but the wiring inside isn't color-coded. Is that correct? I know they aren't version 1's but want to be sure they aren't version 3's. 

So ... assuming mine are V2's, will woofers from V3's be a match? And would the compression drivers be a good match? 

Thanks for all your help.