WTB (desperately): Epic CF-4 woofer

djcaccavaro

There was an old post here titled everything you wanted to know about the Epic line.  One thing mentioned was that the woofers were changed for the version 3's.  The drivers in the 3rd version then became the drivers used in the KLF series. 

There was an old post here titled everything you wanted to know about the Epic line.  One thing mentioned was that the woofers were changed for the version 3's.  The drivers in the 3rd version then became the drivers used in the KLF series. 

I was unaware of that,...thanks for the info.

I just discovered the old thread I was citing and bumped it. Scroll down to everything you wanted to know about the Epics.  The thread is titled Epic CF series and was bumped into the general klipsch forum.

Edited by shiva

incorrect info...  the series 3 driver are not & never became klf woofers.  ALL epic woofers use the stronger neodymium magnet, klf woofers are traditional magnets & different cone & surround materials.  not sure where you heard they became klf woofers but thats news to me. i could be wrong but have never heard that in 15+ years of owning & researching epic speakers.  the article is very informative though on the epic line.  the change for the series 3 woofers was basically a lighter cone material to increase efficiency.  they will work in series 1 & 2 but are not correct.  

I don't know if his statements are true or not. He did say that when going to the KLF line they changed the magnets from neo to the traditional ones.  What I do find interesting is that I remember when that was first posted as I just recently purchased my Epic CF3's and started coming to this site for more info on them. I still have them as well, and also have no desire to replace them.  

Edited by shiva
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

FWIW: If anyone is reading this, I've found much of what has been written about the various versions of the Epics to be inaccurate -- at least in my experience. I've been told the V3s have colored wiring inside, shorter ports and different woofers (with slight stripes visible in the cones rather than pure black). Based on my serial numbers, which start with 300, I've been told mine are V3s.

But my pair were built in 1994, which is early in the run (they are labeled as such inside the cabinets). That should make them V1's. But they have shorter ports. That should make them V2, V3. But their wiring inside is the clear-jacket wiring used in V1. But they have the later-model woofers. So ... nothing checks out. 

I've also found they sound fantastic with low-powered amps. I'm driving mine with a 12 watt Line Magnetic 211ia tube amp and they sound spectacular. I've tried them with higher-powered solid state gear by Bel Canto and found them to sound overly clinical. At 12 watts of tube power, they image magnificently, have insanely tight, controlled bass and have super-fast transients. Vocals and acoustic guitar are just magical. 

One thing I did find to be true: If you can find a pair of EV dh1506 compression drivers to replace the stock drivers, you'll be amazed at the improvement in mids/highs. It's startling and at first almost overwhelming, but once you get used to the different sound, you'll be glad you made the switch -- at least I was.

I'm just sharing this so other Epic owners out there will know there's more than one way to get great sound out of these speakers, whatever version they may be.

Enjoy!

• Like 1