Help with PC graphics board

USNRET

My son's PC is a home built with Asrock Z87 Pro3 MB and PNY GTX770 graphics card. The video card went bad and was replaced under warranty in Oct. Today his monitor black screen and indicated no input. Suspecting another bad video card, we uninstalled the card and switched the cabling to the integrated video. No video still. He tells me he disabled the on board video but now we can't see the bios to change the setting. I have reset the CMOS via jumper (no video), reset the CMOS and then removed / installed the CMOS battery (no video) and swapped out monitors (no video).

Help!

Are there any beep codes?  If there is a failure, the POST should generate some beeps that can be identified using the manual.  That will tell you exactly what component has failed.

Also, I would suspect while installing the vid card another wire on the MB may have come loose, like a power cable, maybe one connected to the power supply itself.

Edited by wvu80

Try resetting the the CMOS with the battery out, test the battery with a voltmeter while it is out of the mainboard and replace if the voltage is low.

Many times a cheap or faulty power supply can wipe out components with excessive ripple or overvoltage, also look for leaky capacitors and/or black spots on the mainboard.

A little house cleaning:

After I originally posted I started thinking about POST codes and found that his PC does not have an internal speaker. I need to remedy that, thinking of perhaps a old pair of ear buds connected to MB perhaps???

All connections seem to be fine.

I think I am getting a good CMOS reset because after reset the PC will power up then immediately power cycle itself.

Edited by USNRET

Try resetting the the CMOS with the battery out, test the battery with a voltmeter while it is out of the mainboard and replace if the voltage is low.

Many times a cheap or faulty power supply can wipe out components with excessive ripple or overvoltage, also look for leaky capacitors and/or black spots on the mainboard.

My understanding is that a CMOS reset and a battery removal are supposed to be the same except that battery removal also resets time/date.

My understanding is that a CMOS reset and a battery removal are supposed to be the same except that battery removal also resets time/date.

Yes but the way i was instructed years ago was to remove the battery, test battery, clear CMOS, replace battery.

Did you check the battery voltage and inspect the mainboard ?

A little house cleaning:

After I originally posted I started thinking about POST codes and found that his PC does not have an internal speaker. I need to remedy that, thinking of perhaps a old pair of ear buds connected to MB perhaps???

All connections seem to be fine.

I think I am getting a good CMOS reset because after reset the PC will power up then immediately power cycle itself.

I have a 99% guess that the speaker is imbedded on the MB, so even without an audio system hooked up, you should be able to hear beep codes.  The old 1" wired separate speaker hasn't been used in decades. 

For trouble shooting, I would start the PC with the vid board NOT installed, which should generate some beep codes.  Then plug the board in and see if the beeps change.

For further trouble shooting if all else fails, unplug other components to the lowest common denominator until all you have is the MB and video card.

Also, some of the modern vid cards have TWO power connectors, one for the board and one for the fans.  Make sure both power connectors are plugged in. Edit:  There are two power connectors, I just checked.  Make sure they are connected firmly at the vid card AND the power supply.

Edited by wvu80

No imbedded speaker BUT

After a couple of hours down time we powered up with the second monitor connected to the on board graphics processor (we had tried this before with no luck) and viola we had a display.

Installed his GTX770 and it worked on the second monitor.

I will try the monitor on my system for a check out. This monitor is displaying info from itself, settings, etc so that is strange. Tried both HDMI and DVI.

If after some time it fails again I will remove, clean and re-apply thermal paste to the cpu but the temps seem fine.

Thanks all.

Edited by USNRET

No imbedded speaker BUT

After a couple of hours down time we powered up with the second monitor connected to the on board graphics processor (we had tried this before with no luck) and viola we had a display.

Installed his GTX770 and it worked on the second monitor.

I will try the monitor on my system for a check out. This monitor is displaying info from itself, settings, etc so that is strange. Tried both HDMI and DVI.

If after some time it fails again I will remove, clean and re-apply thermal paste to the cpu but the temps seem fine.

Thanks all.

Sounds like you got it figured out. Not only did the original graphics card die, it took the first monitor with it. Perhaps it was the other way around. Surge or something maybe? Hope the MB is OK, but it sounds like it has promise!

Keep in mind those video cards need power directly from the power supply. If something happened to the PS to cause the original video card to crap, and then crap out the monitor, the PS may be suspect!

Suspect monitor was installed on my system and appeared to work but failed in about 5 minutes. Asus support was called and within a few minutes agreed to cross ship a new monitor as it was one year into a three year warranty.