How do Cornwalls compare to RF-7?

wilbucd

The CW is BIG--which from Hoffman's Iron Law means that it is going to sound better than the size-compromised RF-7 (and -II).

Really?? That is the law? I'd have to strongly disagree....

I'm sure you would... :)

But then, the onus would be on you to make your point... B) (I'll explain later why this is so.).

• Moderators

To me I like much bigger speakers and smaller amps, using 2 40 wpc amps and probably never get over a couple wpc to get to 100db or more. Not really a fair comparison when you consider size, I get that point.  When you get well above 105 db with ONE watt things get really easy to drive without distortion.

This is compared to others here, Cornwall lll, Heresy,s version 1 and ll, Forte version l and ll.

I am NOT talking volume, any of the models can get loud, it's about sounding big and more realistic, notice how the bigger the models are the bigger the sound is ?

But I do like them all, and they all can sound really good in the right situation. One thing about Cornwall's is you will not be in a rush to connect your sub compared to others.

• Like 1

I appreciate all of the replies. I have considered the Chorus ll's before. I just liked the look of the Cornwalls. As with most purchases of older equipment the decision will likely come down to which of the two first pops up for sale within a reasonable drive.

Where are you located?

Huntsville, Al

You have a PM

....but really, you don't have to bother because once again, it's all subjective.

Giving up so easily?  You must have a weak argument, because it usually goes something like "...it's all subjective, anyway..." when one side has a weaker argument.

:)

Chris

....but really, you don't have to bother because once again, it's all subjective.

Giving up so easily?  You must have a weak argument, because it usually goes something like "...it's all subjective, anyway..." when one side has a weaker argument.

:)

Chris

It's beating a dead horse, really.

What is on paper/specs vs. what actually sounds preferable to one's ears.

If this Hoffman guy's so called 'Iron Law' claims that if a speaker is bigger than it must be better well, that just sounds pretty ignorant. Unless you're pulling my leg? :)

To the OP......if you want to know how Corns compare to 7's in a two-channel environment, you've got to listen for yourself. Opinions here are gonna be biased one way or another. They're your ears in your room with your gear. IMO....they don't compare, they're different. It's up to you to decide which model you prefer.

If this Hoffman guy's so called 'Iron Law' claims that if a speaker is bigger than it must be better well, that just sounds pretty ignorant. Unless you're pulling my leg?

Um, in the information age, ignorance is a choice, one you seem rather proud to have made.  It's physics, not conjecture; cab size, sensitivity, and extension are intrinsically linked. 

Disregarding personal preference, the forte/forte II are the best compromise w/ Hoffman's Law of any Klipsch speaker: 95 db/w sensitivity, extension to the low 30's, reasonable size. 

• Like 1

It's physics, not conjecture; cab size, sensitivity, and extension are intrinsically linked.

I'm very aware of that......but that doesn't make it sound better than other types/brands/models of speakers based on an individuals personal preference in how they like a speaker to sound.

We love em....but there are more than a few out there that are seriously offended by the sound of horns in big cabs. Hoffman's Law isn't gonna change their mind even though his law is fact.

Edited by SWL

Disregarding personal preference, the forte/forte II are the best compromise w/ Hoffman's Law of any Klipsch speaker: 95 db/w sensitivity, extension to the low 30's, reasonable size.
I have to agree with this--in terms of what my ears tell me and also specifications/performance. 

Too bad they went out of production since I believe that they really sound good vis-à-vis most HT loudspeakers that I've heard.  They weren't in production nearly as long as Heresies, so it seems that the existing stock of pre-owned Fortes and Forte II's are dwarfed by the Heresy stockpile.

• Like 1

Those are Purdy .... I read above size compromised 7's ? That don't even sound like a sentence I ever heard . At 100lbs if they have an issue I don't think it's size, but only my opine.

Edited by Fish

There are some true experts who have weighed in on this one, and I'm not one of them, even though I do know something about good sound.  However, I believe there is something special about the refinement of Heritage speakers for 2 channel listening that is not matched by the other offerings, as good as they may be. My Cornwall III's are in our 2 ch. system and my KLF speakers comprise our HT system. I grew up with Heritage speakers and I'm sure that has a lot to do with my opinions today. It really IS subjective and I don't think that's a cop out. I love my KLF-30's but they ain't gonna replace Heritage in 2 channel nor are any other non-Heritage speakers, as good as they may be.  If I replace the CW's, it will be with La Scala or KHorns or perhaps with one of Bob's speakers. Just my $.02.

• Like 1

I may get flamed for this but a pair of Heresys or Heresy II's with a fast and punchy, highly musical sealed subwoofer can give a pair of Cornwalls a run for their money, IMO.  Just another thought.

Bill

late to the discussion.

when i put my RF-5's from the HT system up for sale I moved my cornwalls into place. part of the sale ended up netting me some KP-201's and it suddenly seemed like a waste to be using the cornwalls crossed over with my f-20 sub (with a little coaxing from carl) and so i swapped in the kp-201's. slightly different sound, but not detrimentally. 

Agreed, there is something about the Heritage and Near Heritage lines which imparts a new dimension to music listening. Funny thing, a gentleman brings over a loaner pair of Klipsch Chorus, and every recording I hear and have heard since sounds completely new. So, I don't discount that theory one bit. As I have had this very thing happen to me recently. And it has been for me, nothing short of an epiphany. It has forever changed my approach to musical reproduction. 

• 2 weeks later...