Bruce Edgar Tractrix horn project

Arash

Doesn't look like they needed much sanding.

less than 1mm but I wanted all three layers of side walls look like a 3/8" layer so I sanded them. then I use wood filler and then sanding again  and then undercoat and splash filler and final painting of stain black. :rolleyes:

Now THAT'S a table saw.!

Way too clean though.

I noticed I should cut the edge of the top and bottom sections in order to reduce total height of the horn and make the floor and top flat as the horn can sit on a flat surface without a sharp edge. that's why the horns were passed through the table saw.

Arash,

• Like 1

Arash, this seems exactly like Greg's horn. I use it with BMS 4592md mids. They sound great. Which tweeter and midbass you are planning to use it with. Have you done a crossover design? Check http://www.klipschupgrades.com/crossovers.shtml I am using the VTK400. Its great to have the flexibility on adjusting mid parameters and woofer cutoff point. I have padded down the bms drivers around 9db's.  have also added 22 and 2.2 resistors to tweeters to pad them down 3db's, get the woofers cutoff lower and have a more flat response now. I am happy overall. I am planning on building a nice horn subwoofer. I have a few plans in my hands. I also will change the tweeters to fostex t500amkII's.

If you have these, why not try and build a nice midbass. Maybe you can try the 80hz midbass at Inlow (http://inlowsound.weebly.com/diy-80hz-midbass-horn.html). It seems with your knowledge, the plans supplied and your equipment it ll be easy for you.  You can then add a 20hz to 80hz hown sub to complement that. If you have good tweeters like the fostex ones (t900 or even t90a) then you are set. People with upgraded khorns get a good sound and sometimes stop investigating. I have been on a continous journey. I have covered 20 to 20k now and having the actual full range is really nice and its hard to turn back. Now I am looking for more resolution. Thats why I am going to change my sub to a horn sub and tweeters to t500amkII.

• Like 1

Arash, this seems exactly like Greg's horn. I use it with BMS 4592md mids. They sound great. Which tweeter and midbass you are planning to use it with. Have you done a crossover design? Check http://www.klipschupgrades.com/crossovers.shtml I am using the VTK400. Its great to have the flexibility on adjusting mid parameters and woofer cutoff point. I have padded down the bms drivers around 9db's.  have also added 22 and 2.2 resistors to tweeters to pad them down 3db's, get the woofers cutoff lower and have a more flat response now. I am happy overall. I am planning on building a nice horn subwoofer. I have a few plans in my hands. I also will change the tweeters to fostex t500amkII's.

If you have these, why not try and build a nice midbass. Maybe you can try the 80hz midbass at Inlow (http://inlowsound.weebly.com/diy-80hz-midbass-horn.html). It seems with your knowledge, the plans supplied and your equipment it ll be easy for you.  You can then add a 20hz to 80hz hown sub to complement that. If you have good tweeters like the fostex ones (t900 or even t90a) then you are set. People with upgraded khorns get a good sound and sometimes stop investigating. I have been on a continous journey. I have covered 20 to 20k now and having the actual full range is really nice and its hard to turn back. Now I am looking for more resolution. Thats why I am going to change my sub to a horn sub and tweeters to t500amkII.

yeah it seems so. it's a fc253hz horn just like Greg's V-trac. I'm going to use BMS 4592ND-mid on it. the tweeter is Beyma CP-25. for the lower notes I'll use a LS-like folded horn I've been tweaking for months not. I would say it's also very similar to Greg's Vittora bassbins.

I'm not a carpenter but I can build things with wood. veneer is something new in my area but I'm working on it and experiencing different glues and ways of applying veneer on the BB plywood. for now it's a horn I built with veneered BB. not bad but not the end of my endeavor. we have 1ton air press in store and I'll soon build a vacuum bag press, then I would go for other sizes of Egdar style horn and maybe biradials

post-41711-0-33680000-1416998885_thumb.j

Edited by Arash
  • Like 1

I use Greg's horns with the BMS 4592-mid driver 16ohm version, and the T90A Fostex tweeters with two SVS subs crossed at 80hz and enjoy the sound very much. My journey for the sound I was looking for has ended I am completely happy with what I have now no more changes to gear just the settings.

Edited by canyonman
  • Like 2

Canyonman what tweeters you had before? How do you think sound improved and what crossovers are you using?  

You have a klipschorn like mine with bms and vtracs. Why did you crossover @ 80hz. My khorns can go down to 40hz and are sounding nice. What benefit you had from crossing @80hz?

• Like 1