Bruce Edgar Tractrix horn project

Arash

actually I calculated a cf190hz Edgar style horn for a friend and thought maybe someone else is also interested to build such a horn so I'm sharing the plane here though it's not something very unknown to many of you:

40cm height to 80cm width ratio would be 1:2 not 1:1.5 :) besides you don't need a 80cm horn to get down to 190hz cf.  I calculated it for you with following details:

width to height ratio: 2:1

cuttoff freq.: 190hz

height of the horn: 35.69 cm

width of the horn: 71.395 cm

lenght of the horn (throat to mouth): 56.73 cm

you can download the Coreldraw file with 100% actual dimension: attachicon.gifcf190 plan.zip

a preview of what you'll find in Coreldraw file:

attachicon.gifcf190hz bruce edgar horn.png

feel free to ask me if you have any problem with file format or extension or whatever.

Any way you can share a .dwg file?

sure why not :)

.dwg version: cf190 plan.zip

"Is this the case with all horns of this type?"

Pretty much so, you can get about a decade (10:1) before they start beaming on the top end.

If you want wide range without beaming, you will need to design a Constant Directivity type horn.

• Like 1

I am still having problems opening this file, I down loaded the correct one to open it, but when it opens it is just blank??

please let me know the exact version of Autocad or Coreldraw you are using and I'll come up with the right file format as soon as possible :)

haven't tried to open it in my illustrator yet.
I had an older version of Corel Draw and it didn't like the cdr file. My Illustraor doesn't like it either (from CS 5).

Bruce

haven't tried to open it in my illustrator yet.
I had an older version of Corel Draw and it didn't like the cdr file. My Illustraor doesn't like it either (from CS 5).

Bruce

I exported it with Coreldraw 9. all Coreldraw 9 and upper should be able to open it. hope that helps

cf190 plan ver9.zip

• 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi:

I'm new!

I built a pair of these a couple of years back.  I am not an audio-guy nor a skilled cabinet-maker, don't have any fancy tools and no workshop!  Regardless, I'm very happy with them cosmetically.  I had built the bass section of la scalas and loaded them with Yamaha 15" drivers I've had for years.  As budget is always an issue as well as is time, I bought "full-range drivers" PA130-8 from Parts Express ($20.00 each).  I had a pair of 3 way cross-overs-375/3K.  The top end I purchased planar tweeters from Parts Express also.  I have no mid to high sound.  The "suspect" for me are the mid-range drivers.  The "details" state that they for "90 to 15K".  The Planar drivers 2K to 26K.  Am I missing something other than brain cells and "know-how"?  Has anyone got any advice or suggestions regarding "how I can enjoy mid-highs and high frequency" sounds?  I feel desperate having spent so much time building the Edgar horns.