Advice on Dual RSW-15 placement behind 150" AT Screen

Youthman

• Moderators

While I'm waiting to begin the redesign of my HT Version 2.0, I wanted to get some advice on placement for my Dual RSW-15's.  Currently, they are in the front corners of the room.  I'm wondering if the bass is slightly exagerated (possibly booomy) being in the corners.  Do you think they might sound better if we built a solid platform for the LaScalas and placed the RSW-15's between them?  This would bring them a few feet off the ground (which normally would lessen the bass) but I'm thinking since technically they have a floor beneath them, that would be fine.

Final-HT-8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Youth,

My RSW-15 gets boomy if I tuck it in the corner. It lessens when I give  it room to breath. 18"-24 from each wall in the corner.

Since you are brainstorming, have you tossed around the idea of not putting them behind the false wall at all. Maybe on center of your side walls. Might be a lil tight walking room I'm sure, but hey, you have a dedicated room for tinkering =+)

BTW, congrats on tracking down 2 maple RSW-15s! Quite the journey I'm sure.

• Moderators
My RSW-15 gets boomy if I tuck it in the corner.

I believe that is happening in my room as well.  There definitely is a lot of bass but sometimes it doesn't sound as clear as what I remembered when I only had one RSW-15 and it was between the main and center speaker.

Since you are brainstorming, have you tossed around the idea of not putting them behind the false wall at all.

Not really.  One of the purposes of the false wall is to conceal the gear for movie time.  Not sure I would want them out in the open but I wouldn't rule out that option, especially if that's the location where I got the most clean bass from.  It would be less than center since my seats are close to center.

BTW, congrats on tracking down 2 maple RSW-15s! Quite the journey I'm sure.

I actually didn't track it down....it came to me.  :P   Like the first one, I saw it on my local CL and at that price, I couldn't pass it up.

Youthman, do a FR and see how the subs look in the room.  I forget what autocorrection you are using.  This might be something easy to take care of and keep the extra output from corner loading with a MiniDSP.  I think they are around $125.  You could suggest it to the wife for Xmas, lol.

As nice as your HT is and with multiple subs, the MiniDSP would be a good investment.  I told the family form my B-Day I want an Omnimic system, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

I would think on paper & in theory, not having them on a solid foundation would diminish the response in the room. But would it be discernible to the human ears and the listening experience...dunno.

You could make 5 separate platforms instead of a stage. That way you could place the 2 subs on the floor, test out the listening experience, then place them on the platforms and test again.

Since the floor is carpeted, you could try the spikes on the bottoms of the platforms, to help couple them to the floor better. I know both types of speakers are heavy enough to ensure spiked feet will press down to the slab and not walk on you.

Youth,

In your rendering of your future placement in your first post of this thread, have you considered building in a pair of 45 degree angled boards directly behind the passive radiators and a second set directly above the subs to get that extra Bass out from directly behind the subs?? As earlier refered to in this thread, I believe the muddy Bass you are referring to in this thread is probably related to your subs distance from the corners as this makes a major difference with the Chorus II, Fortes and Quartets.

Rog

This is be a deal where the only way is to actually try them in different positions. Being off the floor would not concern me as I have a sub 2ft off the floor in my carhole and it jams very well. It would be great if you could put them as you have planned, and that may work with surrounding speakers kinda acting as short walls. But it may not.....I have a similar set up but and it looks great, fits good, but loses some bass response. I can compensate to a large degree but when I had only one sub closer to one corner I got about as much bass/enjoyment. Note..I have since changed radio and main front speakers but you get the idea....

post-7293-0-57140000-1418225875_thumb.jp

Edited by Fish

• Moderators
Youthman, do a FR and see how the subs look in the room.

I have never used REW before.

I forget what autocorrection you are using.

Harman Kardon has their Ez/Set EQ

This might be something easy to take care of and keep the extra output from corner loading with a MiniDSP.

I'm not familiar with MiniDSP or their offerings.

have you considered building in a pair of 45 degree angled boards directly behind the passive radiators and a second set directly above the subs to get that extra Bass out from directly behind the subs??

Never heard of anyone doing that but it makes sense.  Would be easy enough to do.  I'll check with Wakejunkie.  If I can get cleaner bass by placing them in between the LaScalas and use the angled boards to help bring the bass from the active (the passive is actually in the front) that would be cool.

Michael my subs are also off of the floor my recessed shelf was built with a header and footer her but there is almost no difference with having them off the ground and my situation you might be able to try it before the wall is under construction I would think ideally having them there would be nice I'm very happy with my captivators lifted off the ground room correction has everything tight as a pin where bass is concerned

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch

• Moderators
Moving subs away from a corner or the floor does not simply reduce their output, it results in phase cancellation that causes certain frequencies to be reduced or increased. It makes your bass response less flat, more uneven, and causes certain spots in thevroom to be boomy or less boomy.

Wouldn't that be the case anywhere you move them to?  I thought the boominess was caused by the boundary gain from the corners.

Michael, you could put your subs in your basement and still yield great bass in your HT upstairs.  Haha

Moving subs away from a corner or the floor does not simply reduce their output, it results in phase cancellation that causes certain frequencies to be reduced or increased. It makes your bass response less flat, more uneven, and causes certain spots in thevroom to be boomy or less boomy.

Wouldn't that be the case anywhere you move them to? I thought the boominess was caused by the boundary gain from the corners.

Michael, you could put your subs in your basement and still yield great bass in your HT upstairs. Haha

point taken

Michael my subs are also off of the floor my recessed shelf was built with a header and footer her but there is almost no difference with having them off the ground and my situation you might be able to try it before the wall is under construction I would think ideally having them there would be nice I'm very happy with my captivators lifted off the ground room correction has everything tight as a pin where bass is concerned

you can't give advice you just sat and looked at your subs for like a year before you even plugged em in.