Crown Power

babadono

Hi All,

I'm going to do a DIY subwoofer build. This will be my first so I'm going to do sealed cabinets from a flatpack. These things need gobs of power as opposed to our beloved Klipsch horn loaded speakers so my question. Does anybody use Crown XTI xxx2 power amps to power their subs?  If so what's your opinion of their sound quality?

cuz babadono

I use the XLS-202 to power my 2 THT's, and I recommend it. They have replaced it with an XLS-1000 I believe. No matter, just whatever size you need for your application with some headroom...

The XTi is AB I think, and the XLS is a Class D. I will come back and correct this if I am mistaken.

I'm right, I just checked. Most experts agree that Class D is best bang for buck on subs. More efficient, cooler, lighter, and for low frequencies just as good.

Edited by mustang guy

I use two XTi-1000s, each in "bridged sub" mode (essentially a strapped mode) - 1200W RMS output: no worries, works like a charm, and I'm using the DSPs in each to EQ and low-pass the subs. 

Very good value and performance in this mode (i.e., subs--not full range loudspeakers).  I bought the amps to bi-amp my Jubs for about a year before I found a reasonably priced used Dx38 active crossover.

The XTI series Crown Amps have poor reviews in the Bass department, they are fine for running a Bass Bin on a Jub, or similar that is only going down to 35 Hz, they are Crowns PA amp. I recommend checking into the Crown I-Tech series as they are Crowns touring amp! They are not cheaply had like the XTI series though!

Roger

I use the XLS-202 to power my 2 THT's, and I recommend it. They have replaced it with an XLS-1000 I believe. No matter, just whatever size you need for your application with some headroom...

The XTi is AB I think, and the XLS is a Class D. I will come back and correct this if I am mistaken.

I'm right, I just checked. Most experts agree that Class D is best bang for buck on subs. More efficient, cooler, lighter, and for low frequencies just as good.

Hey Craig,

How'd you figure out the XTi-2 is class AB? I've been searching Crown's website for half an hour and I can't find it. Thinking I'll call Crown tech suppport on Monday.

I use two XTi-1000s, each in "bridged sub" mode (essentially a strapped mode) - 1200W RMS output: no worries, works like a charm, and I'm using the DSPs in each to EQ and low-pass the subs. 

Very good value and performance in this mode (i.e., subs--not full range loudspeakers).  I bought the amps to bi-amp my Jubs for about a year before I found a reasonably priced used Dx38 active crossover.

Chris,

So no problems way down low like Roger alludes to?

No - the issues that I read about on the XTi series with regard to low frequency performance turned out to be grounding issues in the test rig of the third-party guy(s) doing tests/operation.  Bottom line: don't use "cheater plugs" on your power - use three-prong connectors and properly connect to the wall socket's ground.  Crown came out with an immediate reply to the assertions of these guys, and the third party guys updated their grounding, finding no issues after that, IIRC. 

I own four of these units and the only issue that I had was on two of them of the Sept. 2009-April 2010 serial number series (which Crown has offered to fix: http://www.crownaudio.com/ca2010.htm).  My issue was the volume control knobs on the front panel were defective and would spontaneously lose gain when the amplifier warmed up until the knob(s) were "jiggled".  Nothing other than that issue.

The XTi-1000s (and their higher output cousins, the XTi-2000s and XTi-4000s) are really spectacular subwoofer amps in disguise, IMHO.  The only caveat that I can think of is that the lowest that you can set a parametric equalizer filter (PEQ) using the internal DSP and a USB connection (with the PC or Mac running Harman's free "Audio Architect" application) is 20 Hz, but the internal shelving filters work below 20 Hz, so you can boost or cut output below 20 Hz using that approach...which actually works better...again IMHO.

Edited by Chris A

Hey Craig,

How'd you figure out the XTi-2 is class AB? I've been searching Crown's website for half an hour and I can't find it. Thinking I'll call Crown tech suppport on Monday.

Hmmm... I don't remember actually. I was shopping for amps and noticed they are heavier and was thinking it was because they were better. What I found out is that the XLS is a Class D. 

There are several threads discussing this, but I can't find it in the XTi specs either.

http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3989

http://www.crownaudio.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4412

Hope that helps.

Crown K2's here. When I perform intergalactic-wormhole experiments in the living room, I'll fire up all three.

...I suppose I could be talked into parting ways with one of them, for the right price.  :D

attachicon.gifK2BloodyRed.jpg

I am also using the K2 on the Jubs. Did not know they were available in red, is that a custom paint job ? Your wormhole experiments description gives me goose bumps knowing the potential of these K2's .

Cornman

Did not know they were available in red, is that a custom paint job ?
It's from the factory. They were available in four custom order colors in addition to the standard black. There was a CE-friendly grey that was very popular in stadium and cinema installs, a very bright yellow, a turquoise-blue, and of course "bloody" red.

the-Piano-amprack.jpg