best way to paint in celing speaker grilles

Kman

I have 4 ceiling speakers that I want to match the ceiling color of the media room when finished- which is basically black. that way they will blend righting. not sure of the best method to do this. read everything from spraying to small roller. Either way its tough to try to get in consistent without blocking the holes. Anyone have any experience with this? looking for some tips, thanks

Edited by Kman

Spray paint is best.

A small thin nap roller will work but don't go right from the pan to your work, find a clean piece of scrap to clear some of the excess paint off the roller so you don't end up filling the grille holes.

Clean off the excess every time you add paint to the roller and you should be good to go.

• Like 1

Spray but THIN the paint if you are talking about using a sprayer.  I had a bad experience when a contractor refused to thin the paint and proceeded to clog half of the holes in the grill.  I refused to pay him until he made it right.  He actually sat in his truck with a pin poking that paint out of each closed hole.  Didn't look great but at least it didn't block the sound anymore.   I never imagined that was going to be his decision... I guess he figured that would take less time than repainting my replacement grills properly.  Sometimes you pay people just to leave. 

If painting black I'd just buy cans that match your finish.  Easy.

as long as you thin the paint out slightly and dab the sleeve, you won't have any issues with the holes getting clogged up. use a 1/4 inch nap on the sleeve (which is used for doors). Before you paint them, take the roller, a piece of 2-3 inch wide tape, and roll the roller on the sticky side. It will take any of the loose fibers and remove them.Then make sure the paint is thinned,dab the roller almost dry then paint the grills.

I have 4 ceiling speakers that I want to match the ceiling cold of the media room when finished- which is basically black. that way they will blend righting. not sure of the best method to do this. read everything from spraying to small roller. Either way its tough to try to get in consistent without blocking the holes. Anyone have any experience with this? looking for some tips, thanks

It was painted when it was made. If you are worried about clogging holes, you could strip the old paint off and put new on. The use spray paint and do light coats from a rattle can until well covered. 

Brake fluid is an excellent paint stripper. It just take a while. Remove the grille, and let it bathe in the brake fluid. Then paint should just rub off the next day to bare metal. If not, no big deal, just get something stronger...

Edited by mustang guy

thanks everyone for suggestions. so it seems my options are small roller ( not directly applied from pan to grill) or light coats with spray can ( since I don't own a spray gun or any sort). At first I thought a no brainer but then started reading about the clogging hole nightmare than some have experienced. also I noticed last night there is a thin cloth like material in the inside of the grill. Is this a paint mask that is included with each speaker or does it serve another purpose?  by the way the speaker are Klipsch 3650's. thanks

Edited by Kman

You might consider having a can of compressed air on hand when painting. If the holes clog, a blast of air should open them back up while the paint is still wet.

good idea- I have some on hand luckily. but again, does anyone have any idea what the white lining inside the grill is? Is it a dust cover, or will it affect the speaker sound if taken out? all I know is no way to paint the grills with it on, and it seems like no way to take out without mangling it. If that is the case, than  I see no other option than to slightly use the roller method, because spraying would completely clog this cloth up no matter what. 

) or light coats with spray can ( since I don't own a spray gun or any sort).

when you purchase the paint if spraying right next to the paint is usually an attachment you get get that acts as a sprayer attached to the can.You can hold it to get a more uniform spraying action and it will give a better coat. Just ask at the place you get it from and they will show you where it is.

• Like 1

) or light coats with spray can ( since I don't own a spray gun or any sort).

when you purchase the paint if spraying right next to the paint is usually an attachment you get get that acts as a sprayer attached to the can.You can hold it to get a more uniform spraying action and it will give a better coat. Just ask at the place you get it from and they will show you where it is.

yes like a trigger, picked up one at home depot- seems like it should do the trick

Edited by Kman

I would not paint them even with thin paint.

A black dye would be better, or replace the fabric with black fabric.

WMcD

dye? not sure why, the manual says they are paintable. also if I replace the fabric with black the outside grill will still be white. I'm sure some high quality metal paint would suffice. its just picking the method

If painting black I'd just buy cans that match your finish.  Easy.

I've painted multiple grills with flat black paint in rattle cans, it worked fine.  Just make it your goal to "fog" it on.  Just do several coats that is very thin.  If the paint ever looks wet then that's too thick.  Also never start shooting it while actually pointing at it, that's when you can potentially get big globs of paint.  Start shooting it while in motion from about a foot away to avoid this.  Move fast and don't get to close and you'll be fine.