power range: 75-300 watts RMS

peak power handling: 600 watts

frequency response: 22-200 Hz

sensitivity: 86.1 dB

top-mount depth: 5-7/16"

sealed box volume: 1.15 cubic feet

ported box volume: 1.65 cubic feet

• Like 1

That driver needs a big enclosure to get those frequencies. The best you will get with a ported 2 cu ft box like this one from parts-express: https://www.parts-express.com/knock-down-mdf-20-cu-ft-subwoofer-cabinet-for-dayton-audio-12-ultimax-subwoofer--300-7081 is about 30Hz@-3db as you stated in the original post.

Build a 5 cu ft box, and you can get to 20Hz at -3db with two 2" round ports about 5" long. (Tuned to 23Hz, and capable of about 110db without corner loading) The amp you would need is about 250-300 watts @ 4ohm.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Jjptdk, JayL, Mustang Guy, thanks for the response and the info. This is going to be alot of fun. I hope it turns out well. I want to sqeeze all I can out of the driver without distortion. I don't have a table saw and I don't trust Lowes to properly cut the mdf so I will try to come up with something. I will have a lot more questions so please bare with me.

These dimensions would work:  1.5 x 1.5 x 2.25 

Any of the numbers can be modified so long as the total is about 5.  If those numbers sound good to you, I will draw you up a Sketchup with dimensions for the cuts and an assembly blueprint.

If you want this sub under his bed, just take some measurements, and let me know how much room there is... We could do that just as easily...

edit: One thing to note. An under the bed sub would be dampened by the mattress and box spring a good bit with a 12" driver.  Something that looks like a night stand would be better.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

How does this look? I can make a cutsheet up...  It's a night stand sub I designed with a recess for a grill and a rear slotted port. Tuned to 22Hz, and should yield 21Hz at -3db. Keep in mind you still need an amplifier also...

PS: The footprint is 25" wide. The top is a bit wider. I don't know why that dimension didn't show up.

post-47699-0-02760000-1416768029_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Thank you Mustang Guy. Your a good man. The drawing looks great. A cut sheet would be great. Figure out what I owe you for your time. Sorry I didn't reply sooner. I was at a 3 hour movie. Do you think the sub will sound good? Will the JL driver work ok?

Edited by peshewah

JL subs are great. That enclosure will get it down low like you want it. The enclosure is designed SPECIFICALLY for this JL driver. Do not change the driver...

You don't owe me anything. I enjoy doing stuff like this...

Buy 3/4" MDF, and please be aware that these measurements for cut are based on 3/4" EXACTLY. The MDF will be slightly thinner than 3/4", so you will be doing some sanding and measuring based on dead reckoning. I did not include any bracing, but bracing will help stablize the cabinet. Use Locktite PL-Premium to glue and seal. The port MUST be exactly 1/2" tall; this is very important.

Go download Sketchup, so you can open jlhomesub.zip in the attached files below this image.

jlcuts1.jpg

jlhomesub.zip

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

That's great. Post pictures of your progress!

You should think about how you want to brace it. Here is a canned search which will hopefully help:

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+brace+a+subwoofer&espv=2&biw=1146&bih=768&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=sX5zVJGCM8r-yQS4xoGQBQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAjgK&dpr=1.25

Mustang Guy I need to know how deep is the motorboard recessed? Going to try to get wood cut up today. Thinking about going to Harbor Freight and getting, well, getting a bunch of stuff. LOL

The motorboard is indeed recessed by an inch. You can look at the sketchup drawing. Everything is to scale. Do not build this without the sketchup. The jpeg does not show enough detail.

Sketchup

Once you get this installed, you will be able to open the sketchup file in the jlhomesub.zip I attached to post #12.

Heck Mustang Guy I got it downloaded and opened up and it looks just like the jpeg drawing. If you say it is recessed 1" then thats what I will go by. Thanks again

Please look at my post # 12 again.  Enlarge these attachments:

post-47699-0-36920000-1417409507_thumb.j

post-47699-0-25000000-1417410615_thumb.j

Edited by mustang guy