Floating mantle removal; how to?

USNRET

So the wife wants me to cover the fireplace with faux stacked stone panels (heat treated even though we don't use the fireplace but future...). How do I remove this floating mantel? Any experience and hints to give on this project?

post-19886-0-02820000-1416779628_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

House built in 2005, I bought from original owner 2 years ago. I assume it is "contractor grade". I have to remove all my gear to another location and then I will attempt removal. Where I am going with the gear remains the big question. As little as I use it perhaps moved to garage sale forum.

Looking closely, it is chalked at wall and there are at least two lower sections that could be chiseled and pry bar removed which would probably allow me to look inside for retaining method.We won't re-install. I will try the bump up method to check for keyhole attachment as suggested.

Edited by USNRET

They built mine piece by piece ill snap a pic so you get an idea I had to remove all the lower trim . There is to chunks of 2x2 in the brick and they screwed the long 2x4 into them on each end .

If you cant lift up on yours to remove it  your probably looking at the same thing . I will never have a fireplace again always in the wrong spot

post-49590-0-73760000-1416787284_thumb.j

Edited by A1UC