Fix Pioneer Elite M90 or get new Emotiva Amplifiers

jarrod2750

I have two Pioneer Elite M 90 amplifiers powering a pair of Epic CF 3's. The Pioneers are starting to show their age and instead of investing more money in fixing them, I was wondering if it would be wiser to upgrade to either a pair of Emotiva XPA 2's or XPA 200's or stick with the Pioneers. If money were no object, I'd be looking at Parasound.

Thanks!

If money is an object, a newer amp would be the way to go.  I don't think you will hear much difference compared to the Pioneer fixed up.  I went to a multichannel amp due to space limitations.  My vintage Yamaha M 80 and M 70 did not take a backseat compared to some of the newer amp as far as SQ goes.I had the M 70's partially refurb.  Once you start refub. old amps, they can cost as much as a new amp.

• Like 3

I have two Pioneer Elite M 90 amplifiers powering a pair of Epic CF 3's. The Pioneers are starting to show their age and instead of investing more money in fixing them, I was wondering if it would be wiser to upgrade to either a pair of Emotiva XPA 2's or XPA 200's or stick with the Pioneers. If money were no object, I'd be looking at Parasound.

Thanks!

are you stuck in the Emotiva price range ?  just wondering why those amps

Yea I'll go with derrickdj1. I have never owned the Pioneer Elite amps but the do look nice, I love that vintage look. But once you start getting into a refurb it can get quite costly. Have you got a est to fix/go through them? They still seem to bring good money.

I just got one of my Carver TFM 55's back from my reg amp guy and he could not fix it, can't find the parts. So now I must think....do I send it off to one of the Carver shops or sell it for parts....it kills me....I love my Carver amps. But they too (like your Pioneer's) are 20+ years old.

I have looked at the Emotiva gear....looks nice.....I know some of the forum guys like em.

Anyway good luck to ya....keep us posted :-)

Between the two I've alreday invested $400 dollars in repairs. And one now needs its powerboard fixed which will be an easy $200 more. These beasts are close to 30 years old so it's like dumping money into a car.

The reason I was looking into the Emotiva's was because of the price to value ratio and wanting to get something at least as good as the Pioneers. I'm not looking to break the bank but I was always impressed with Parasound. I'm keeping my options open, and willing to hear what my fellow Klipsch community would suggest.

• Like 1

I guess I'm a little confused. You have one pair of speakers that you want to power with two stereo amps? Or are you talking about bridging them to monoblocks?

In any event you have a pair of speakers that are 100db efficient. What you really want is a good quality power amp with modest power instead of higher power and lower quality (think Emotiva).

Personally I would go for these. I have owned these and they are very good ss amps.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/ac-conditioners-monarchy-audio-se-100-2014-11-17-power-97702-bend-or

or this

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/solid-state-belles-150a-power-amplifier-2014-11-20-amplifiers-30031-4303-decatur-ga

or a McCormack DNA-1, if you can find it.

Shakey

Edited by Shakeydeal

sorry for the confusion.  I'm running one amp per speaker and the speakers are bi-amped.  I hope that makes sense

Still confused, one amp per speaker and bi-amped seems contradictory.  I agree w/ Shakey that you simply need good quality power.

How about an ATI AT1202?  ATI's online outlet store has them for under $600.

one amp per speaker and bi-amped seems contradictory.
One stereo amp per side, bi-amping the cabinet (lows/highs). I am assuming, of course, but that's how I read it.

I've also always liked the Parasound gear.

Bruce

Using two stereo amps, lateral bi-amping?   If that's the case then the OP is definitely in need of amps that have gain control (like Parasound, ATI, but unlike Emo).  

I still vote for skipping any sort of passive bi amp approach...unless the amp he's using for the mids/highs is some sort of thermionic device!