Speaker project based on KG5.5 available parts

Greg M.

I have a pair of KG5.5 speakers I am looking to rebuild/improve. These speakers for the money are great. I do, however, feel the existing design lacks mid range at times. 

My hope is that these speaker can be paired with another mid range driver to remedy this situation.

I am just starting on this rebuild and I  have limited experience so I am asking for any help offered with good intentions.

Speaker cabinet design suggestions are also greatly appreciated

Right now the speakers are being tested with an older RX-V 990 stereo tuner but that will be upgraded in the near future.

I resealed the fronts with epoxy and put a piece of pink fiberglass in the inside of the box behind the foam and that made them more punchy as they have a large box for not being braced. I am not really sure of what else to do beyond putting in some bracing etc as far as cabinet modifications. Many people have done the Bob Crites titanium diaphragms  for the tweeters.

I understand what you're saying about the 5.5. I personally prefer the 5.2 with one active and one passive woofer, seems like a much more balanced speaker to me but of course you lose some of that bass slam. Not really sure what a reasonable mod would be to "fix" that, maybe a move up to a 3-way design like the Forte or KLF-20 should be in order? Good luck!