cost of vinyl?

So I thought I'd start this old school vinyl two channel setup in my living room, possibly with a couple of Heresy's but not sure yet. Anyway, just started shopping for my favorite 90's albums... $475 for one Tool album???? !! ?? Is this the norm? Goodness.

http://www.amazon.com/Aenima-Tool/dp/B00000099X

yeap... that's how much some LP's might cost.

I just got Radioheads In Rainbows Boxed set... 45rpm and CD set, usually it runs about 100-200$. sometimes you might get lucky and find it for less. you could get the normal release for $17 though.

Trying to get the Inception soundtrack... normally runs for between $250-600, Fire Come Walk with Me soundtrack... between $200-400, The Dark Knight soundtrack... between $125-175

$475?? Man. To be fair, we are shopping for different stuff. The range I pay for VG+ or better from well rated sellers on ebay or a-gon is usually between 5 and 20 or so bucks plus shipping.  You are looking for new vinyl with an apparently high demand factor. Most of what I'm after is vintage and outside the rock genre. In any event, I'd keep shopping!!

I found a trashed copy of that album for $10.00 at a used record store.  It is so scratched that it is unlistenable but I can tell that a pristine copy would truly kill the slightly compressed CD version.  A NM copy might be worth $150 to me if I was in the right mood.  It is one of my favorite records.

I love Tool's weird time signatures. Vicarious is one of my favorites because of this.

Anyway, rock on kiddies. I've never seen a drummer that young who can keep up with Tool material in a proper way. The kick drums alone at 4:30 leaves most adults in the dust. Just lots of weird stuff going on.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

For LP's try discogs.com I've had much better luck over the years then eBay.....

For rare records at great prices dicogs.com is THE site. I love it.

I buy reissues and new vinyl between $12-$30. The high end are sometimes double lp releases.

On our local vinyl market it can happen that some guys quickly buy all reissues of rare LPs released in small numbers, just to be able to resell it soon at much higher prices. :angry:

Reminds me of the Geico commercial at the art auction where he gets the winning bid but then tries to sell it as soon as the applause dies down. :)

I've had that Tool record since it was first released. I think I paid 20.00 for it. Maybe I should add it to my retirement portfolio.

Shakey

Want to sell?  I would love to have a playable copy.

What did you have in mind?

Condition?

I think I have played it maybe three times. I much prefer Undertow.