Need a subwoofer amp

peshewah

I designed that enclosure, and you need to be careful of over-excursion with any more than about 225 watts at about 32Hz.  My own personal research shows that 30-34Hz is a popular low frequency for modern music bass. 

That sub will sound fantastic unless you drive it beyond excursion limits and distort the heck out of it. IMO, it should be very clean to about 110db with 250watts.  

I like the 300S bash for your sub. I used it on a sub, and it's well made.

Here's that thread, page 2...

Edited by mustang guy

Thanks so much for the response. I don't want to mount a plate amp in the cabinet but still undecided. I could build something and mount it on the back. Thanks for the response curve. One thing for sure is my wife will kill me when my boy starts kicking out some tunes. Thanks again guys and have a good Thanksgiving

• Like 1

I second the BASH 300, I've purchased a couple of those and they work great, been reliable too for the last few years with daily use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BASH-300S-300W-RMS-DIGITAL-SUBWOOFER-AMPLIFIER-MODULE-/170923088768?pt=US_Home_Audio_Amplifiers_Preamps&hash=item27cbcf5b80

If you keep an eye out they go on sale time to time, IIRC I paid around $110 shipped for mine new.

I bought a jl 12 inch subwoofer driver model 12w1v3-4 ohms and its going in a 5 cubit ft ported box. Its a 300 watt, 600 watt peak driver. Do I need a 300 watt or 600 watt amp?

Peshewah I have a subwoofer ksw-15 that I'm bout to put on eBay how much do u think I can nab? Amp work an all ,man this thing shake the hole house

If you must use an external amp, I'd go with the one Jason told you about. It has some good reviews, and Jason does a lot of subs, so he should know.

I think a 1000watt amp is overkill. There isn't going to be anything protecting that driver from a teenager turning it up all the way.  :)  The difference in 300 watts and 600 watts is 3db. So you are talking about risk, more distortion, and a lot more money for the sake of 113db instead of 110db.

I bought a jl 12 inch subwoofer driver model 12w1v3-4 ohms and its going in a 5 cubit ft ported box. Its a 300 watt, 600 watt peak driver. Do I need a 300 watt or 600 watt amp?

Peshewah I have a subwoofer ksw-15 that I'm bout to put on eBay how much do u think I can nab? Amp work an all ,man this thing shake the hole house

That was random.   :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...