disappointed in R15M Speakers

bugman53

On 1/16/2016 at 3:50 PM, rybn said:

I was also disappointed with the frequency response. So I opened the back terminals unit and checked the crossover circuit electrical frequency response. What I found explains what the problem is. the crossover point is at 1800 Hz as specified BUT at that frequency both the bass and the twitter levels are at -11dB instead of -6dB.

The crossover schematic is shown in the attached file. The inductors values are not marked.

The only way that I could fix it without replacing the whole circuit, was by adding a 10uf  (2x22uF back to back connected) capacitor in parallel to the 3.6uF. This change shifted the crossover level to -7 dB but the crossover frequency moved to 1350 Hz.

Listening to the speakers now is so much better that I will keep this modification, unless the Klipsch company will see this post and provide a replacement crossover units.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I cannot find the attached file... 

Cheers!

• 2 years later...

Hey, it's a great topic!

I bought a used pair of these speakers half a year ago, and I was quite disappointed from the very beginning - they just didn't have enough high freqs. Though I decided to keep them. Initial googling was fruitless, and now I'm really happy I found this topic.

I replaced a 7.5 Ohm resistor with 1 Ohm as was suggested, and now I'm really happy with them. Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I didn't have to spend much time experimenting and monkey-patching it.

Still I don't understand at all how this can be? Initially I though it's something with my pair (e.g. dried capacitors or whatever). These speakers receive so many good reviews, but without the mentioned modification it's just not possible to enjoy the music. Are people deaf at all? Again, I saw some people posting measurements with a great quite flat freq response. How is hell that possible, can someone explain?