Ortofon stylus pressure gauge

LarryC

After having struggled for many years with the Shure phono gram gauge and a couple of re-purposed jeweler's scales, I finally sprung for the Ortofon DS-1 "Cartridge Digital Scale", at about $170.  It's terrific!  No calibration weights or fussy procedures -- you simply press the red "On/Tare" button to shortly get a readout of 0.0 g.  Like many such scales, you can tare at any time.

The only other, blue, button is "Cal/Mode," which rotates through g, oz, dwt, ozt, gn (grain) or Ct (carat).

Garymd and I tried it out this morning, and it worked easily, quickly, and beautifully.  I am very impressed.

http://www.amazon.com/Ortofon-Digital-Stylus-Force-Gauge/dp/B000WMCFPO

Edited by LarryC

Sounds pretty cool Larry. I also like the fact that Ortofon, makers of mighty fine cartridges is putting this out. I've noticed they seldom, if ever, put out products with over-hyped marketing, a rarity in the world of audio.

So is this primarily for convenience or are you mounting something new that needs to be uber accurate?

So is this primarily for convenience or are you mounting something new that needs to be uber accurate?

I mounted it yesterday.  It's not sounding as good as it should, so if you want to add you 2c to my 2c, you're more than welcome.  We should discuss.  I had to send my CD transport for repair, was fortunate to send to the right guy, Steve Huntley, who expertly dug up some obsolete parts and did the repair.  Sounds terrific.  Again, we need to discuss.

Larry

Edited by LarryC

I'm wondering where the 150 bucks is in that scale? Frankly, I am wondering where the 30 bucks is in the shure also... what issues were you having when you were using the shure?

Edited by Schu

what issues were you having when you were using the shure?

You may be right about the price vs. value, but other electronic gauges never seemed designed to measure pressure from an actual stylus on an actual cantilever and cartridge.  Some required messing with a separate weight for calibration.  After so many years of exasperation, I was relieved to find something so simple, well-made, workable, and presumably accurate.

The Shure never seemed to me to have the manufacturing quality that my other equipment has: vthe balance slider never stayed put and the stylus groove looked risky.  I think it looked and felt like it should have cost $5, not $30.  It had only 10% or 20% accuracy, and you could see why IMO.

Just my preference

Edited by LarryC

The guy that performed alignment on my turntable used this Pro-ject digital scale (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=measureit2&cat=accessories〈=en).

It was very easy to use. But at the same time, I was amazed how accurate is manual alignment on my Philips 212 because we first aligned it manualy and than rechecked with electronic scale.

The guy that performed alignment on my turntable used this Pro-ject digital scale (http://www.project-audio.com/main.php?prod=measureit2&cat=accessories〈=en).

It was very easy to use. But at the same time, I was amazed how accurate is manual alignment on my Philips 212 because we first aligned it manualy and than rechecked with electronic scale.

and this one has a point to place the stylus, where the Ortofon does not. Would that not change the measurement ?