dks5276

hello all, Im running a Onkyo Tx-sr805 and I have th epleasure of owning rf-83's, my question is what should i set them at...full range? to a certain HZ like 80hz, i used the calibration mic but i feel as if my rf-83's arent putting out the sound that they can, i am a bass loving kinda of guy and like to feel it if you know what i mean....any help would be a GREAT help, also if anyone is a Receiver expert, should i keep the onlyo tx-sr805 or get the tx-sr636?

If you are using no subwoofer then I suggest full range if you are using a capable sub then around 80hz. For music I suggest using them alone no subwoofer. You may also yield nice results crossing them at 60hz and a sub to pick up anything below that. These are some of my all time favorite klipsch speakers.

Edited by MichaelandKlipsch
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Michael is correct.  I used the RF-83's for several years before buying my LaScala Trio.  I preferred the sound of my RF-83's either set to full range or 60Hz even with quality subs.  If you do not have a subwoofer, then definitely set them to large.

• Like 1

in other threads i see that people are knocking onkyo receivers?? one guy has rf-7's and they are saying not to use an onkyo.....for affordable receivers which receiver is better? 

It's more towards the models over the past 5 years as they have issues with their HDMI Boards failing and continuing to fail even after fixing them. The issue was with the way they were made with cheap parts. I've had 3 in the past 2 years and all of them went bad, with 2 of them going bad after they were fixed. If the speakers sound a little low, try raising the "level" on them from the receiver to gain a little more "loudness" from them. If the receiver is working fine, don't fix what's broken. My personal preference is not to buy them again due to my issues, but that doesn't mean you will have them. The TX-NR 609,709,809,929,616,626 were a few models with the issue.Try moving your speakers around the room or pigeon toe them in so they come right at your ears with the tweeters, or just past your ears.

in other threads i see that people are knocking onkyo receivers?? one guy has rf-7's and they are saying not to use an onkyo.....for affordable receivers which receiver is better? 

It's more towards the models over the past 5 years as they have issues with their HDMI Boards failing and continuing to fail even after fixing them. The issue was with the way they were made with cheap parts. I've had 3 in the past 2 years and all of them went bad, with 2 of them going bad after they were fixed. If the speakers sound a little low, try raising the "level" on them from the receiver to gain a little more "loudness" from them. If the receiver is working fine, don't fix what's broken. My personal preference is not to buy them again due to my issues, but that doesn't mean you will have them. The TX-NR 609,709,809,929,616,626 were a few models with the issue.Try moving your speakers around the room or pigeon toe them in so they come right at your ears with the tweeters, or just past your ears.

i currently own the onkyo tx-sr805 and bought the tx-sr636 but yet to open it, i might return it, i bought it cuz it was on sale and in case i didnt find the deal i wanted on another receiver

For HT, XO the speakers at 80 or 60 and forget about it, lol.  What sub do you use?  An appropiately matched sub should handle the bass better than the towers in my limited experience.

righ tnow hooked up i have an AAD by phil jones sub, got it a long time ago from ultimate electronics with the purchase of a tv, not a well known sub according to my research but everyone asks what sub i have because it sounds great

Off the top of my head if it is less than 15 in. sub, that should be your next upgrade.  The 83's have triple 8's and need a sub that can keep up.  The 83's are capable of some tremendous output and hit pretty low.  In the meantime run the 83's full range with the sub and see how you like it.  This next year, I may be in the market for some more wooferage, lol.

i currently own the onkyo tx-sr805 and bought the tx-sr636 but yet to open it, i might return it, i bought it cuz it was on sale and in case i didnt find the deal i wanted on another receiver

For more modern conveniences, keep the 636.  For a rock solid beast of an amp section and good quality DACs, keep the 805.  

The 805's do run hot but did not suffer widespread with the HDMI board failures.  The 806 through the 809 were much more prone to the problems.  I have owned my Onkyo TX-SR705 since 2007 and have not experienced any issues at all.  

Bill

If the 805 is working,keep it and run it, it will give you more power than the 636,unless you are looking to do Atmos. The 636 if I'm not mistaken is only 90-100 watts per channel,and the 805 is probably about 130 watts per channel.The older receiver will give you more cleaner sound at higher levels and won't clip as quick as the 636. Your speakers again can be adjusted by going into the level side of the mic setup after it's done to adjust the output sound so it's louder and bass can thump more. Just make sure you adjust all the same amount and write down the levels before changing them. Those speakers are beasts, so once you cross them over, raise your levels and that will give you more pop in them. Also adjust the compression and go into the bass and treble settings as well. I also like a deep bass and crisp highs, so I was using the "light" setting on the compression with mine.

• Like 1

If the 805 is working,keep it and run it, it will give you more power than the 636,unless you are looking to do Atmos. The 636 if I'm not mistaken is only 90-100 watts per channel,and the 805 is probably about 130 watts per channel.The older receiver will give you more cleaner sound at higher levels and won't clip as quick as the 636. Your speakers again can be adjusted by going into the level side of the mic setup after it's done to adjust the output sound so it's louder and bass can thump more. Just make sure you adjust all the same amount and write down the levels before changing them. Those speakers are beasts, so once you cross them over, raise your levels and that will give you more pop in them. Also adjust the compression and go into the bass and treble settings as well. I also like a deep bass and crisp highs, so I was using the "light" setting on the compression with mine.

so if i want to run 2 subs is it necessary to have a 7.2 receiver? or will i be fine with the 805

so if i want to run 2 subs is it necessary to have a 7.2 receiver? or will i be fine with the 805

7.1 is fine for 2 subs. Just get a RCA "Y" splitter

looking to get 2 rw12's.....yes? or go with 10's?

do your rf-7s drown out your subs?

No......great value but go bigger and better! Look at SVS, PSA, HSU, just to name a few...or DIY

No......great value but go bigger and better! Look at SVS, PSA, HSU, just to name a few...or DIY

i have a chance to get 2 klipsch thx ultra subs and the amp for 2k....just hate dishing out that much right now bu hate to lose out on a deal