Subwoofer review - Dual JTR captivator S2's

MichaelandKlipsch

Wanted to start a thread on reviewing my first pair of 18's. My thoughts on these particular subs and how they compared to my 4 THX Ultra 2 subwoofers. These are also my first sealed enclosure subs I have owned. I will post a detailed review later today now that I have properly enjoyed them for 4 different films.

• Like 2

Fellas gentleman I apologize I for some reason posted the review and thought it posted and came back and realize that it never did I will retype this now okay first off the build quality on the dual JTR subwoofers is on par and equal in my opinion to any other subwoofer I have purchased now to be fair they do have a more rigid rugged cabinet enclosure that is more likely to appear as a commercial style cabinet rather then the beautiful wood veneer that some of us used or are used to they have a simplicity about them but that doesn't bother me whatsoever the option to get beautiful finishes if these were to be in someone's living roomare available upon request I originally thought of getting these in piano gloss black but decided against it as they would be behind my curtain in this theater as well as any other theater in the future if we decided to move that being said you can tell that the wood is made out of Birchwood and the cabinet with the drivers is extraordinarily heavy he's had to make a trip up three flights of stairs to the fourth floor in our home where the theater is locatedThe high excursion drivers are definitely a nice component to see and the amplifier is a 4000 W plate amp with capabilities of 7200 W peaksas you can see in my build thread I purchased two of these JT our subway for us to even out room response and to ensure each of the four seats in my theater would receive the same impact these should deliver the customer service was phenomenal and the only disappointment I had was the long wait to receive them as it took a little over 6 1/2 almost 7 weeks from the date of purchasethat being said during this time communication was always something that was easy with this company now that I have them properly installed and everything has been adjusted through my anthem room correction software I have finally tested them out both subtly with my normal viewing andon occasion I have increased the decibels by -6 on the trim to see how 18s would feel over my four slot ported subwoofer as I used to ownThe main reason for my new build with having an acoustically transparent screen was because of the Sears size of the subwoofers they were so large in my theater that they started to look a little obtrusive and I decided to finally go ahead and place them behind the screen along with my LCR to have everything out of sight and pray have a more presentable clean look that you would if you were to enter any commercial theater todayI took detailed photographs of the on boxing lifting and placement before and after the build took place so that I could look at them if I wanted to without removing the screen again these are really just gigantic large heavy black boxes so I don't know that I would necessarily need to stare at them and beauty the SVS PB 13 ultra subwoofer in gloss piano black is surely a much more beautiful subwoofer to behold but that's not why we are in this hobbynow onto the review of the audio performance this will have to be my first time ever hearing or feeling 18 inch drivers in my room so I don't have much to compare them with except for my past subwoofers I have over the last two years praised the klipsch ultra two subwoofers for that movie theater feeling base in the 20 to 30 Hz range that I experienced with all four slot ports gushing out tons of air during action sequences during movies and to this day I still am astounded at how good they were and I never knew what I was lacking until installing these JTRs. These are capable of down to 5 Hz code located behind my screen I can definitely say that I've never experienced that before it is kind of like the sound and feel you get when taking off in an airplane and you have that cabin pressurized Felling you get when lifting off the ground in a plane it is a surreal experience that a movie theater simply cannot provide that I have been in. Now after using these for quite a while through six different films I have definitely increase the volume to near reference levels with the trim on the subwoofers at 6 dB higher than what anthem sets my other speakers at and that's when these speakers really show their colors the amount of pressure power and low frequencies that come out of theseSubway for us is hard to put into words normally I would have never felt the need for increasing my subs but one day I had a long conversation with Steven and he persuaded me to move into the 18 inch sub woofer are playing ground and I have to say now that I am happy that I have done sohe is very accurate with what he has said and asking me over the last several months about when I would finally test them out but it took me a while to have the complete bill done in my theater with the contractors before I can actually run power to them since they do not have a normal three prong power cord and instead use a speakon connector port. in order for me to properly install these in my theater I had to have my electrician install additional 30 amp circuits one per subway for so that I don't trip breakers when I call upon them to impressof the four films I have really tested them out with they continue to make watching movies as exciting as ever and I feel very comfortable in saying that they are my favorite piece of equipment in my theater. When you step inside of course the screen size and presence is the first thing people would notice and talk about but I have to say after the movie starts The audio quality in the room more specifically from these subs has the most impactful impression. I have taken quite a journey through subwoofers and home theater in general since I started in this hobby beginning with a 50 W 180 W peak Sony subwoofer to these dual J TR captivator s2s. If there were one portion to really write home about in my theater it would be the addition of these 18 inch subs I'm looking forward to letting Youthman and wake junkie hear them when they visit. Again I am sorry that the original post failed to upload. In a nutshell the build quality customer service and performance on the sub woofer's are in my opinion excellent. I would think you would have to venture into a Myers theater to get better performance out of subwoofers.

• Like 4

again these are really just gigantic large heavy black boxes so I don't know that I would necessarily need to stare at them and beauty the SVS PB 13 ultra subwoofer in gloss piano black is surely a much more beautiful subwoofer to behold but that's not why we are in this hobby

Big black boxes and the jet takeoff descriptors says it all.  Performance driven HT is a whole new experience on movie night.  The 18 in. club is like you said you never missed it before but, now you would not like to do without them.  Overtime you get use to the big black boxes, lol.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...