Your favorite glowing tubes!

tube fanatic

Depending on my audio budget next year, I may have to try a set of these ELROG ER-300B tubes and compare to the Western Electrics in my Terraplanes.

Glowing tube ELROG ER-300B 04.jpgGlowing tube ELROG ER-300B 06.jpg

Glowing tube ELROG ER-300B 02.jpgGlowing tube ELROG ER-300B 03.jpg

Glowing tube ELROG ER-300B 01.jpgGlowing tube ELROG ER-300B 01.jpgGlowing tube ELROG ER-300B 01.jpgGlowing tube ELROG ER-300B 01.jpg

Terraplane 300b DRD outside.jpg

post-36163-0-97360000-1420349330_thumb.j

post-36163-0-67000000-1420349354_thumb.j

post-36163-0-76720000-1420349381_thumb.j

post-36163-0-67840000-1420349417_thumb.j

post-36163-0-85360000-1420349444_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd

FJD

I also own the Moth Audio Si2A3, and had posted pictures of it, as well as our Welborne Labs Moondogs (which now exist in the form a completely redesigned 300B circuit, on this forum years ago when I contributed Here under my name, Erik Mandaville. Moth Audio agreed to sell us (specifically my wife who bought it for me as a gift) the amp in the form of chassis, ouput transformers, power transformer, all other passive parts and schematic so that I could put it together myself. That is the amp in which I had been using the AVVTs. I have a pair of blue glass AVVTs, as well. I also have the Sophia 300Bs that I use in the Sophia Electric monoblocks that SE also sold us at greatly reduced cost as a box of parts and schematic. As an aside, I should point out that both companies had not and do not sell products in unassembled form. They made allowances for me, and provided a discount since I would be building the amps myself.

I also used the AVVTs in J. Lessard's Horus parallel-feed 2a3 monoblocks, a great circuit which I had built from scratch but modified quite a bit. I'm sure I posted pictures of those as well, but again under my full name many years ago.

I have in fact rebuilt the Moth amp a couple of times In the last several years; it's on my workbench as I write this. I'm still on the lookout for a pair of the great little Wright monoblocks you mentioned. I have repaired three different pair of monoblocks of that amp, and came to really appreciate them. They used low impedance, and thus very low noise, coupling between the driver and ouput stages, as well as interesting and unusual aspects of power supply design that were common many decades ago. I called George Wright to talk with him about the PSU, and he laughed and said "I bet that threw you a curve ball!" A gentleman he was, for sure.

So! That was much easier than it used to be. I just took this test shot of my 300B version of the Moondogs -- note change in position of speaker binding posts.

post-49454-0-23860000-1420375108_thumb.j

Edited by erik2A3

Sophia Electric 300B chassis - built from schematic and different power transformer of my own choosing. The PSU circuit is my own, the signal circuitry is theirs -- very FAST and articulate amplifier, not in the least bit euphonic or warm.

post-49454-0-72340000-1420409671_thumb.j

Edited by erik2A3

• 2 weeks later...

I see no mention of the Big 6c33c/b Russian triode. Check out Ultra high $$$ Lamm amplifiers, Almarro and Audio Mirror to name a few known builders. Antique Sound Labs also made an integrated usiing this tube. I owned a couple pr. of the AM monos, 45 watts/side in triode. The biggest, richest open sound you can imagine.This tube was first discovered being used as power supply tubes in Russian MIG fighter jets in the late '70's. A stout and highly reliable tube at a fairly low price. But prepare yourself for some Heat, big time. These make the heat thrown from say a KT88 seem like a lighting bug. Great for room heaters in the Northern climes. While the sound was immense the heat thrown from these things finally scared me away, twice.