Your favorite glowing tubes!

tube fanatic

I might as well chime in with some photos..............nice to see all the pictures of your tubed gear everyone :wink:

Here is a photo of a set of ORIGINAL 1965 Genalex Gold Lion KT-88's (top row) from my Dynaco MK III monoblocks, and the brand new Gold Lion replica's (matched quad) from New Sensor Co. Russia....IMG_2275.jpg

Those are beautiful Tigerman, even the replicas are sweet looking. Wonder if Viktor over at BAT would give them a thumbs up :rolleyes:

Thanks for the compliments :)

Muel, those look great with the blue hue !  My 88's have that but not over the whole globe.  Only cast in perfect little squares in one section of the globe.   I will try to get a photo and post since that seems to be the thing to do 'round here ;)

...........Gary

i know this couple at my church, her late husband was into audio stuff. she and her current husband were ready to throw away a pair of McIntosh MC30s.  My brother stopped them--they had no idea what they had.

beautiful cosmetically and appear to have been stored carefully. they’re not hooked up to anything and i’ve never had a tube amp so would not know what would be red flags to look for. 

they’re more than willing to sell them; but, since i’m an honest guy and they’re good people -- i don’t want to rip them off at all.

i think they’ve been stored for YEARS.  say they’re working fine; what’s a fair price and what is a fair estimate for having quality tubes replaced and whatever else would be the proper thing to do when buying a tube amp.

• Like 1

That's a nice looking amp Mike!  The chassis looks fairly small- what are its dimensions?  Also, what kind of opts did you use?  I'm always looking for less costly alternatives to the Hammond 125SE series but have yet to find anything which doesn't compromise the bottom end response too much, or look unattractive (to me) like the Edcors with the blue end bells.

Maynard

I built an amp and used the blue Edcors. The amp was gray and black hammertone, and of course the Edcors looked hideous. Just took the bell ends off and painted them black. Still look great after about 4 years.

Cheers,

Greg

Hey guys!  Glowing tubes are too nice to look at to let this thread die so soon!!!  Here's another to keep it going.  It's the just completed SET version of the "Little Gem" which I posted about a while ago.

Maynard

A lightened version

Edited by eth2

Greg, glad it isn't just me who finds the electric blue color of the Edcors unappealing!  If I weren't lazy, I'd do what you did.  My other consideration though is that I've used Hammond xfmrs for so many years that I'm completely familiar with their "personality" and can design around them without thought.  And, Earl, thanks for lightening the picture.  I'm also lazy when it comes to putting my pix into a photoshop program to fix them up, and just download right from the camera (in my case a very ancient Sony Mavica which uses a floppy to store a whopping 2-6 pix depending on their size!!!).

Maynard

Couldn't tell you which tubes are glowing in the dark for me.  Can tell you I like setting in the dark, seeing the glow from the tubes, and hearing the music dance back and forth left and right.  Also hear music coming from center sound stage, but no speaker there.

Penta KT88SC power tubes don't normally glow but the camera picked up the blue.

CBS 7318 in the 12au7 slot and Brimar CV4035/ M8214 for the 12ax7.

Good stuff!

VRD_tubeGLW.jpg

Never get tired of that pic Muel. So awesome.... And I know, they sound awesome! The Penta's and 7318's never leave my VRD's!.

I get lucky with the camera once in a while but not often.  I deleted a BUNCH of photos from my camera before I caught this one.  I'd like to get this one printed and framed or put on an acoustic panel some day.

Thank you for introducing me to the 7318's!  Yes, they are a great tube!   I never could find much information about them though.

I've been running Red Lion KT88's for a number of months now.  I bought them with used VRD's so I don't know quite how many hours they have on them.  They are sounding good but I will still put the Penta's back in soon.  It seems like a good idea to swap out the power tubes for a known good quad just so you can listen to hear if your power tubes are wearing out.   I say "wearing out" because I assume any change that seems to be "less good" should qualify as "worn."